Pre-Op Diet: Is 30g of Sugar Per Day Too Much?

Ms_J
on 11/10/13 11:27 am, edited 11/10/13 11:36 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 11/20/13
Is 30 grams of sugar too much for a pre-op diet? My total carbs per day is about 50 grams (30 of which are sugar) but all of the sugar comes from my vegetables (mixed peppers or broccoli). I think everything else is right on target (I average about 6 grams of fat and 85 grams of protein per day) except my calories. I can't seem to get more than 600 calories in one day.

I just don't know how else to lower the sugar if it is too high without also decreasing the calories. And I only get one food choice a day that is related to sugar - the vegetables I eat. I'm not eating anything else that is optional, not even sugar-free snacks.

hollykim
on 11/10/13 12:17 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
How much mixed peppers and broccoli are you eating a day to get 30 gms of sugar? According to nutritional stats I use,peppers and broccoli have little to no sugar in them.
And yes, 30 gms of sugar would be too much for me on a pre op diet.
GL

Ms_J
on 11/10/13 1:25 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 11/20/13
I eat either 3/4 cup mixed peppers or 2/3 cup broccoli (no sauce).

All the sugar is accounted for correctly and according to my dietician's instructions. It's just that 30 grams seems high to me. I'll call her tomorrow and ask why she wants me to consume more sugar than I would expect. I know that pre-op diets vary depending on individual situations.

Thanks!

mkvand
on 11/10/13 6:08 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I just looked up the nutritional info for broccoli and peppers, and broccoli has 2 grams of sugar per cup, and bell pepper has 5 grams per pepper.  If you multiply that by four calories per gram, you're getting about 30 calories from sugar, not 30 grams of sugar (which would be 120 calories).

Ms_J
on 11/11/13 12:20 pm, edited 11/11/13 12:20 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 11/20/13

It's the skim milk! I called the dietician and she said that the shakes can be mixed with either cold water (which is in the instructions on the package which I didn't read because I thought I knew everything - my bad) OR skim milk (which is what I used). 

Anyway, she said the extra sugar carbs were fine but that if it bothered me I can switch to either a low carb fat free milk like Hood Calorie Countdown or water.

hollykim
on 11/13/13 4:48 am, edited 11/13/13 9:57 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

there you go,lol.i knew it wasn't  the vegetables. You didn't mention the milk! 

GL

Ms_J
on 11/13/13 8:51 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 11/20/13

I didn't think the skim milk wasn't standard for the pre-op diet. But then again, I should have read the instructions so I would have known the dietician was deviating from standard protocol. Lol 

Needless to say, I switched to a lower sugar fat free milk and only use it for one of my two shakes.

hollykim
on 11/13/13 9:58 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

you can. Also try unsweetened almond milk for even less carbs. GL

Ms_J
on 11/14/13 6:38 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 11/20/13

Thank! I'll definitely look into it. Does it taste the same as milk (not that it matters since I'll be mixing)?

And despite the extra carbs I consumed at the beginning of my pre-op diet, I still lost 10 lbs in the first 6 days. 

hollykim
on 11/14/13 7:08 am, edited 11/14/13 7:08 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

it tastes the same to me. And yes,it is not unusual to drop pounds in the beginning of any diet. However,the extra carbs,esp from sugar,began to slow you down or stop your weight loss at some point. 

Easier to start the way you mean to go. It is less painful later on.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views