Will I save money on groceries??

NatWaddyDoDaDay
on 11/13/13 12:41 pm

Just curious to you post op peeps. Have you noticed that you spend more or less money on groceries after surgery?

LosingSarah
on 11/13/13 12:46 pm - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

We have totally been spending less money on food. (groceries & eating out)  I'd say like 50% less. We used to get take out or fast food like 2-5 times a week. We never go out anymore. Yay!  We've been putting the extra money into our savings account. It is growing fast :)

DesertRose
on 11/13/13 1:00 pm
VSG on 01/08/14

I was curious about this too, as my budget is pretty tight.  It'd be nice to have some money freed up by not having to spend as much somewhere.  :D

NatWaddyDoDaDay
on 11/13/13 1:16 pm

I hope I save some money. I love to cook but foresee that my grocery budget will be less so I can buy new clothes!

themexcellentone
on 11/13/13 1:25 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Yes.  We spend half as much on groceries as we used to.  Both my husband and I are sleeved.  But where we save money on groceries and eating out, we've spent in buying supplements and new clothes.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Imakitekat
on 11/13/13 3:29 pm - ID
VSG on 09/23/13

I have found so far anyway we spend the same amount at the grocery store because we are buying more protein and vegetables which cost more then all the other stuff we bought, but it lasts much longer because we don't eat as much of it. We haven't gone out, but will probably order one meal between us when we do so that will be a savings.  The one time we did I just had three small bites of chicken from my moms plate and I was full! Yep, vitamins and clothes are the next expense!

Smiles:),

Lisa

Dakinbar Yes
on 11/13/13 5:11 pm
VSG on 05/07/14

I haven't been sleeved yet, but can easily see I will be saving HEAPS after my surgery. Just today for example, I have spent $13.85 on a quesedilla for lunch and then $6.99 on this fancy ice cream I love (which is one serving as far as I'm concerned). $2.70 on a chocolate milk, and a further $2 on a DIET fizzy drink (thisiswhyyourefat.com). The worst part is this is all on a day when I'm not actually feeling very well, so normally I could spend even more. Things are definitely more expensive where I live, but I probably spend around $200 a week on food for just me and my 3 year old daughter. I can't imagine spending more than $80 after surgery, and probably not more than $30 a week on vitamins and protein stuff.

claimmaster
on 11/13/13 8:09 pm - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I buy all of my food now at Whole Foods.  I figure I'm not eating much, so I'm going to eat the best that I can.  The store is known for being really expensive, but I still only spend about $60 a week on food, total.  My biggest expense is probably my occasional skinny latte at Starbucks!

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

candiedtamz
on 11/13/13 11:49 pm - TX
VSG on 10/22/13

That's awesome claimmaster! Whole Foods is so much more realistic financially now that the amount of food intake has dropped! I'll be going there as well!

grayC
on 11/13/13 9:03 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

My first thought was HELL TO THE YEA!!!

not only do I save on groceries..for example my family of 4 ( 5 if the oldest is home from college)only needs

1 package of chicken cutlets instead of 2 or 3...and let's not forget

THE MOTHER of all WALLET SUCKING ACTIVITIES...

EATING OUT!!!

rarely do it now, as opposed to 3-4x a week...but when we do...NO APPETIZERS!!! NO DESERTS!! 

And LEFTOVERS for at least 1 maybe 2 meals!!!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views