Phase 2 Diet But SCARED To Eat

StephanieJ
on 12/5/13 3:24 am

Hello Everyone!

I am officially 2 weeks post op and my doc has advised me that I can start on soft food like yogurt, cottage cheese, applesauce etc. However I'm scared to eat. I've been so fixated with the scale and the weight loss has slowed. I'm fearful that once I start this diet that I'm going to start gaining. From one day to the next the scale went up 2 lbs while i was on the liquid diet...what gives?! Also, how much should I be eating now. I find myself very full after 2 teaspoons of Greek yogurt. I also had he hiatal hernia repair during the surgery, so I'm not sure if that has made my eating more difficult. I will start working out this weekend so I'm hoping to see better results on the scales. Any suggestions for other foods during this stage...I crave something warm during these cold December days! Also, I have heard that our diet is very similar to the Atkins or South Beach diets...any truth to this? Would those be good guidelines to follow for our new diet?

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE ADVICE!

“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” ~Johann von Goethe

Keith L.
on 12/5/13 3:31 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Very normal feelings. Let me assure you if you stick to your doctor's plan you will not start gaining weight. You can only eat about 2 oz of food right now so you have a ways to go until you have to worry. Stop looking at the scale. Until you get to full foods you could be all over the place. You are still healing and nothing is normal at this point. Weigh yourself every day to feed the need but do not worry about what the scale says until you are back to full foods. That's when the game really starts. Its all practice right now.

For warm, soups are good, creamy soups are very filling and satisfying. I will also recommend Elina_7's Green Chicken soup, very good and super nutritious. The recipe is on her blog near the very beginning of it. Warm herbal tea also relaxes your stomach and makes it feel better.

Yes your diet once you return to full foods is very much like Atkins. Low carb or ketogenic diets should be your guide for your diet moving forward. Given that I woudl stay away from applesauce and stick with cottage cheese, yogurt (plain greek), creamy soups, etc.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

StephanieJ
on 12/5/13 3:40 am

Thanks for the info. I agree these stages are very much practice. Out of curiosity why stay away from applesauce? I tried it and it was actually painful, so I won't be trying it again...at least not for awhile. As far as creamy soups...would a tomato based soup be okay?

Thanks!

“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” ~Johann von Goethe

Keith L.
on 12/5/13 4:00 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Carbs. Applesauce has quite a lot of carbs compared to the other things you listed. If you are going to use Atkins or Keto as your diet guide, you will not find applesauce on either of those lists.

StephanieJ
on 12/5/13 10:27 am

Thanks for the info! I had no idea applesauce had many carbs. You definitely know your stuff... Thanks for the info and hopefully you may be able to guide me thru this process with other questions/concerns. 

Keith L.
on 12/5/13 12:04 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

The best thing you can do is read labels. Obsess over what they say and what it all means. It is definitely something that has contributed to my success. Also make your own definition of what a lot of carbs means. I typically do not purchase a product if it has more than 5 or 6 carbs per serving, but it also depends on what type of carbs they are. I do not count fiber as my carb intake.

emelar
on 12/5/13 3:32 am - TX

Two teaspoons sounds about right.  It's really a little disheartening when you look down at your tiny dab of food and then get full before you can fini****  It'll get better.

Progress at your own speed.  If you're still comfortable with full liquids, stick with them and just add one "meal" of soft foods a day to start transitioning.  Go to theworldaccordingtoeggface and search for her list of things she ate during the pureed/soft stage to get some ideas.  Chili is a popular choice for a cold day.

You can do Atkins/South Beach if it makes it easier for you.  Really, for the first six months, you won't have room for much more than your protein.  Just stick to the two golden rules - protein first (minimum of 60g a day) and no drinking before, during, or after meals (but get in at least 64oz a day).  That's enough of a challenge for you at this point!

StephanieJ
on 12/5/13 3:42 am

Thanks for the info, I hadn't thought about chili...hmm might try it tonight! I agree getting all the water in is definitely a challenge. Oddly enough it's easier to get the protein down than the water. 

VPrincess228
on 12/5/13 3:32 am
VSG on 02/03/14

I'm pre-op so I can't give you any info as far as that goes, but my surgeon tells all patients to purchase the South Beach Diet book and follow the guidelines that are set out for you.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE the South Beach Diet.  It gives you all the foods you can and cannot eat as well as recipes for your main course, sides and desserts :)  There are TONS of options that you can eat, even in the strict phase, so it doesn't get boring.

LAURA 28 years old  Height: 5' 6 1/2"  HW: 265  SW: 237  CW: 184

M1 -18  M2 -13  M3 -12  M4 -8

StephanieJ
on 12/5/13 3:43 am

Thanks for the info. I searched the South Beach diet and the food on Pintrest looked like what I should be eating...

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 257 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 323 views