Pre-op and worried. Help?

childof60s
on 12/8/13 11:44 am
VSG on 12/17/13

Hi all, thanks for this forum, it's truly amazing!

I'm scheduled for surgery on Dec 17, just 9 days from now, and I'm worried about a few things.   Foremost on my mind is the nausea I'm feeling since being taken off Nexium after my endoscopy.  The GI said I had developed polyps from over a decade on Nexium, and he took me off it and now I'm on Pepcid 40 mg.    My surgeon is aware and she said this is a pretty common finding and the pepcid should help my reflux.  

The problem is I just can't get rid of this ongoing nausea, made worse by the fact that I'm on my pre-op diet and am having a rough time with the protein shakes.  I HATE milk and milky products and each time I have one I feel even more grossed out and sick to my stomach than ever.   I've tried mixing the powders with water instead of milk and they taste horrible. I was so excited to find the syntrex nectars and ordered lots of samples but find they are disgusting and not a workable alternate unfortunately. 

I can only tolerate the Designer Whey Chocolate, emphasis on "tolerate."  I still hate that milky taste on my tongue and in my mouth.  The only way I can get through it is to alternate with sips of diet snapple.

How in the world am I going to get through my post op with relying completely on these protein drinks for sustenance?  At least now I get one small meal a day (4 oz protein, one serving of a starch and as many veggies as I want).

I'm so worried I'm second guessing my decision to have the surgery, but I *know* this surgery will be a life saver and in the long term I will not need to rely on the shakes.  

Any ideas how to deal with my nausea and my aversion to milky shakes?

Thanks in advance, you guys are so inspirational!

Immediately after surgery: Blood sugars normal, metformin discontinued! Month 1: 18.2 lbs lost;  Month 2: 11 lbs lost.  Month 3: 11 lbs lost

mrsfernie
on 12/8/13 12:30 pm

I'm in the same boat.  I chase each protein shake gulp with a large drink of water.  I just try to get through the shake as quick as possible!  My surgery date is December 16.  Enjoy your small meal!  I don't get any real food.  I cheated tonight and had 1 tbsp of cottage cheese.  It tasted so good!

rengirl1978
on 12/8/13 1:54 pm - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

I am pre-op as well....but not on a diet until 3 days before surgery, so I feel for you guys! One thing I can say is that I have heard and reads lots of information about people's taste changing after surgery. So, you may not like the protein shakes and milky products now, but that could change! There's still hope! Hang in there.

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

rgomez11
on 12/8/13 2:52 pm - TX

i got my surgery set for 12/16/13.  its been a roller coaster ride of emotions and conversations too. 

ok, now take it easy, be confident and just follow docs order for these few weeks and by that time you will understand your body and will adapt to it and reach all your goals.

i know we can do it.  i wish you the best.

Imakitekat
on 12/8/13 6:19 pm - ID
VSG on 09/23/13

Hi,

you should talk to your doctor and dietician about what would be good substitutions.  Zofran and phenegren are good anti nausea medicines, you need a prescription for them but it may be an option.  I have so many food sensitivities I could never do the shakes.  My doctor never required a pre op diet.  After surgery I struggled to get all my water in so my focus was mainly on broth and clear liquids. When I needed to get my protein I tried like puréed chicken vegetable soup, eggs, cottage cheese and regular cheese when I got to a soft diet. It has been a lot harder for me then the average person who has no sensitivities, but it has been worth it.  Just figure out what your plan allows first thing out of the gate so you can discuss options.  Is the pre op required? To lose a certain amount? While your still able to eat real food before surgery, I would ask about ham and bean soups, eggs, yogurts and cheeses.  I would forgo the shakes if they make you sick.  Could you do a fruit smoothie with the syntax nectar?  Doubt is always there, just stay calm.  Even with all the issues I have had I would do the surgery over again.  The most important thing after surgery is water, then protein!  Best wishes....

Smiles:),

lisa

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views