Post-op - Week 4...Protein Shake Burn-out and I think I'm getting smaller

mcbutterpants
on 12/11/13 6:00 am

I am 4 weeks post-op tomorrow...here's what's happening:

The protein shakes are really getting to me.  I’m so sick of them!!!!!  I know it’s time to start changing it up – I have to the break the Vanilla, Strawberry and Chocolate barrier.  This week I found a sample pack of Health Wise soups that I forgot I purchased before surgery.  Jackpot!!!!!  The Cream of Chicken was so good – it has a little less protein (15 grams vs. 20 with a shake), but that 5 grams of protein was worth my sanity that night.   I have also had the chocolate mixed with warm 1% milk and some sugar-free peppermint syrup.  That was a nice treat on a cold, snowy night reading my book.  This morning, I mixed a chocolate with a cup of decaf coffee, a splash of 1% milk and some sugar-free salted caramel syrup – Caramel Mocha, anyone?  Yum!  I also have some products on order from Mybariatricpantry.com – hot chocolate (high protein), oatmeal (high protein/low carb) and some Click decaf coffee.  I need to get out of this rut – getting your protein in is so important and it’s difficult to get that last shake in, mainly because I just don’t want it.

I haven’t stepped on the scale in a week – tomorrow is weigh in day and I’m a little scared.  I feel really good physically – I still get tired easily, but for the most part, I feel good.  I’ve been exercising at the gym walking at least 2 miles per day and usually 2.5 miles or more.  Yesterday I did a personal best of 60 minutes and 3 miles (thanks to the hubs for saying he had a few more minutes of his workout left, so I ended up going a whole hour!).  I’m more worried about the mental aspect of weighing and not getting the result I’m looking for.  I feel like I’m getting smaller – I didn’t feel like that late-last week or early-this week, but I do now.  I don’t know if that is water retention or me just being psycho…

I am still in the same jeans I wore pre-op, which is a little depressing.  I think I was in denial about how tight those jeans really were pre-surgery!  Plus they are made out of that stretchy jean-like material, so about 10 minutes after you put them on they will stretch to your bulk – a great characteristic if your fat and lumpy.  They certainly aren’t tight now and they are a little loose in the waist.  I will probably need to get new ones in a couple of weeks.  I can’t wear my 2X Old Navy yoga pants any more – they literally fall off me.  I am keeping one pair as a reminder of how big I really got.  I should burn the rest of them.

Tomorrow I move to a “soft foods” diet.  I have been on puree foods the past two weeks, but I’ll be honest, I didn’t puree a lot.  I let my chompers do the pureeing for me.  My surgeon and my local doctor are polar opposites when it comes to food.  My surgeon said, “Introduce foods as soon as you can and no need to puree if you have teeth and saliva.”  You could almost hear my local doctor gasp when I told her that – she is much more conservative and I think if she thought she wouldn’t have a mutiny on her hands, she would make patients wait a year before trying Greek yogurt.  So, I’ve been doing a hybrid mainly for my sanity.  I chew, chew, chew and chew some more.  The Eat Slower app is also a helper – it slows you down and helps remind you to chew your food.  I purchased the Carb Balance Tortilla shells – the whole-wheat fajita size has 3 net carbs.  I have had dreams about those shells!  I want a taco (small, baby taco) and a pizza with the shell as the crust.  Mmmmm…can’t wait.

Follow the McButterpants Project blog at:  http://themcbutterpantsproject.wordpress.com

Tracy D.
on 12/11/13 7:22 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

It sounds like you're doing GREAT so I hope you get the result on the scale that you want :-)  The Bariatric Pantry hot cocoa is really good and I like the Click coffee stuff too.  

Keep up the great work 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 309 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 356 views