VSG Scheduled less than a week away!

Malg22
on 12/12/13 11:16 pm - Tiffin, OH
VSG on 12/18/13

Good morning everyone. I am all set for my VSG on the 18th this month. I did all my PAT's yesterday and am all registered. Now the nerve kick in!! I did have the band in Dec 2010 and had to have it removed in May of 2013 because of a leak in the central line. My surgeon feels the surgery will take more than normal (he said normal it's an hour or so but with it being a revision and "someone else has been in there and possible scar tissue" to plan for a longer surgery of upwards of 3 hours). I am going to a new surgeon this time.

Wondering what some words of advice may be? I felt ok immediately following my band surgery and even the removal surgery. How will I feel with the sleeve? How did you feel? I guess this is just where my nerve settle in..I will have 6 beautiful kiddos waiting on Momma to get home after the over night stay. I trust my surgeon and he's been amazing. 

What was your experience? I appreciate the feedback greatly! Do's...Don'ts.....etc..etc..

Angie in Ohio

trishy
on 12/13/13 12:40 am

Can't really stop to write my whole experience but I am a band to sleeve revision and six weeks out of surgery I LOVE MY SLEEVE!! I love the restriction.  I love the weight loss results.  I love the not being hungry feeling.  I love it that it was said to be it is and more.  My sense of smell, taste and complete outlook of food has changed dramatically and I absolutely love it and would do it again.  I was a self pay because of low BMI.  Worth every penny. 

The surgery itself was not fun.  the tube I woke up with that was down my nose and into my stomach for drainage was probably the worst part of it for me.  My mouth was so dry from the anesteia and the doc would only let me have about 6 tiny ice chips an hour.  I had the tube in my nose for about 12 hours post surgery and I was released from hospital 28 hours post surgery. The more you move and walk the less gas you have and the quicker you will recover! Good luck!!

Revision Band to Sleeve scheduled 10/29

Malg22
on 12/13/13 12:53 am - Tiffin, OH
VSG on 12/18/13
Thanks so much for your reply. I feel like its been such a long road and I'm ready to get going again and seeing results.

trishy
on 12/13/13 1:02 am

You will love it. It's so much better than the band. I lost a lot of weight with the band but also ended up with a lot of pain from the band. I have a real stomach again and it feels good. There are foods that I'm still learning about what will work for me but it's nothing lik the band where if te food wasn't good I would vomit or be in pain for hours. Sooo much better than the band. Hang in there! The weight loss is a bit slower cause we are revisions I guess but well worth it. 

Revision Band to Sleeve scheduled 10/29

The_True_KayD
on 12/13/13 2:47 am

I can't attest to the lapband to sleeve revision. I had my surgery on Dec 3. Tube down the throat left me sounding horrible. My stomach felt like I had done about a million sit ups. That lasted about 4 days. I focused on sipping. I used to be a big gulper before. I got up yesterday on Day 9 feeling pretty darn good. I focus on what I need to consume for my nutrition and health. I am not loving the liquid nutrition but it is only temporary. For me to return to heath I will drink the Carnation instant breakfast and enjoy every sip. The recovery process is temporary. Feeling good and being healthy will be for the rest of my life due to my decision to have the surgery done!! BTW...I "bed danced" into the OR.  

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

Most Active