Surgery tomorrow, nauseous, epigastric pain NOW

childof60s
on 12/16/13 5:35 am
VSG on 12/17/13

Hi all!  

I was taken off nexium and put onto pepcid because during my endoscopy they found a lot of polyps which they said was due to long term use of nexium.  They even had to take on especially bad looking polyps out.  Biopsy completely negative thankfully.  Ever since then I've had pretty icky epigastric pain.  I guess the pepcid really isn't working as well as the nexium did.   Burping helps.  

Now I'm getting nauseous too, perhaps because I am SCARED ****LESS of tomorrow's surgery and worried like crazy that my recovery will be horribly painful and/or have complications for the long term... in other words, I'm second guessing my decision.

Any ideas whether this epigastric pain will get worse/better/stay the same after surgery?  Any calming words?  I'm thisclose to backing out. :(

Thanks in advance.

Immediately after surgery: Blood sugars normal, metformin discontinued! Month 1: 18.2 lbs lost;  Month 2: 11 lbs lost.  Month 3: 11 lbs lost

luvbskts
on 12/16/13 5:45 am

My surgery is tomorrow too.  I'm ready to back out too but then I thought about the big picture...I'm diabetic, I had a heart attack at 43, it's just a matter of time before I start having strokes and end up like my mom.  We can do this.  We'll have a rough go at first but then we'll be ok.  (((((hugs))))))

Amielea1975
on 12/16/13 5:46 am
VSG on 12/11/13

I totally understand. I had major cold feet and anxiety prior to the surgery. So much that my doctor at the last minute was willing to back out. I knew I needed to go forward and did! It isn't bad- I won't lie and say it was a walk in the park, but after day two, it has been a breeze. Try to remember why you are having the surgery and think about the life you will have afterwards. You will do great!!

hugs

reader101
on 12/16/13 6:05 am

DO NOT BACK OUT!! You will regret it. I did not have the cold feet as you are experiencing. I just kept focusing on all the reasons I went through the program in the first place. My surgeon was late for my surgery and I laid on the OR table just talking with everyone and not once did backing out cross my mind. You can do this. It will be rough couple of days, but every day gets better! Tomorrow, I am two weeks out and feeling wonderful. I have lost 18 pounds since the pre op diet and the one week post op visit. I can breath so much better. I can't imagine how 100 more is going to feel. Just squash your fear of the unknown. Take it once step at a time. You will do great!

wantagab
on 12/16/13 6:16 am

Hi, my surgery is in 3+ weeks and the anxiety of waiting is killing me!!! I am totally terrified, I have been asking the surgeon and will ask the anesthesiologist if i can have something the night before and morning of to help me sleep and not get on an airplane and flee the country!

It is normal, I try and remind myself it is not a long surgery, I will be out,. I wont feel a thing. There are great meds for pain after. I have had 2 babies and I survived those deliveries. THink of all the good that will come from this. Wouldnt you do anything to have a tool to help you get to a healthier weight?

I have also second guessed myself. But i always conclude that for me, this is the only way. I have tried it all. It is time. Dont waste any more time. Good luck, you will be fine like all of the other people on here!

Cheryl

princesswimmer24
on 12/16/13 6:43 am - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

I had really bad acid reflux prior to surgery and scared to death it was going to be worse postop. Turns out that it cured it. I took my pill for about 4wks postop and then my surgeon took me off of it for other reason. I haven't had any issues since then. I am almost 4 months out and no acid issues. Hope the same thing happens for you too. Good Luck tomorrow!! It's normal to be nervous!!

childof60s
on 12/16/13 10:43 am
VSG on 12/17/13

thanks all for your replies.  i know it's just jitters and that they are normal, but this epigastric pain has me concerned.  I'm really glad the surgery cured your reflux, princess!  maybe it will cure mine as well!!

see you guys from the losers bench tomorrow! 

Immediately after surgery: Blood sugars normal, metformin discontinued! Month 1: 18.2 lbs lost;  Month 2: 11 lbs lost.  Month 3: 11 lbs lost

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/13 11:24 am

Completely terrified hereto especially after so many revisions on my band ... Everything that wasn't supposed to happen did I am paralyzed with fear moving forward ... Not to mention most everyone around me saying you can do this on your own you don't need all those kind of problems again ..

It's funny in between people cannot see or intellectualize how you had the suffering ! Hello !!!!!! If I could I would ! Lol

definitely not easy! But I suppose most things in life that are worth doing or not. Good luck to all :)) 

rengirl1978
on 12/16/13 11:33 am - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

I do not have any advice on your epigastric stuff, but I wanted to wish you luck! I am getting scared too...mine is on Wednesday! 

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

FindingMyWeigh
on 12/16/13 1:57 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

My surgeon prescribed the generic prilosec and I haven't had any issues with it. There are other PPI's out there, have your doctor work with you until you get the right formula for your body. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views