Day 3, 2 issues: Sleeping in bed impossible! And does Isopure count both as fluid and...

childof60s
on 12/18/13 10:38 pm
VSG on 12/17/13

Hi everyone, day 3 here.  I can't get in and out of my bed without struggling and I can't seem to get comfortable anyway.   I got one hour sleep in my recliner.  How/where did you sleep in the early days?

Also, I'm struggling to get both required fluids and protein drinking in, and have the Isopure zero carb protein drink and wonder if I can kill two birds with one stone with this stuff?

Thanks in advance!!!

Immediately after surgery: Blood sugars normal, metformin discontinued! Month 1: 18.2 lbs lost;  Month 2: 11 lbs lost.  Month 3: 11 lbs lost

claimmaster
on 12/18/13 10:44 pm - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

Sure can!  It's a clear liquid and counts towards your fluid intake for the day.  I used it for my first week of clear liquids after surgery and it worked great for me.

I was able to sleep in bed with no problem, but I was really lucky with my recovery.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

katym
on 12/18/13 10:50 pm - PA

Hi Child of 60's,

Sleeping fitfully in the recliner is normal for the first week or so. (At least it was for me!)

Yes you can count the Isopure toward both protein & fluids. As time goes on you will be able to get more liquid in quite easily. It is a good goal to get  64-80 oz of liquid other than your protein drinks per day, but that is not really possible early on when your sleeve is new and swollen.

All the best, Katy

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

happyteacher
on 12/18/13 10:54 pm

Yes, it counts as both.  Very soon your gas pain will let up and it will be much, much easier to sleep.  You are almost there so hang in there!  Congrats on being done with the surgery!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Cathy K.
on 12/18/13 11:38 pm

Had to sleep flat on my back and roll to my side to get up. It really does get better.

mickeymantle
on 12/19/13 1:19 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

try holding a pillow on your belly when you get up it helps , I sleep in my chair in the hospital mostly but after a few days was able to use the bed

protein drinks count a liquid so is jello, ice pops, broth ,yogurt, I was on full liquid as soon as I came home anything that would go thru a strainer was ok even baby food, and cream soup

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

The_True_KayD
on 12/19/13 1:47 am

I slept in my bed after getting home. For the first three days I felt like I had done about a million sit ups. I found that it helped I used a pillow to get up and down. I also decided to not worry about the pain. I made sure that I kept worry and stress out of my thinking. I woke up Day 4 and found that my abdomen was much better. Moving was easier. The gas was lessening. I woke up Day 5 and was comfortable to move. My stomach gurgled when I drank and I did have some gas. Nothing that I couldnt handle. My incisions sites were a bit sore. Remember that there is alot going on inside there!  You are on the getting better side. 

I am on Day 15 and feel great!  being 13lbs down since surgery certainly feels good!!! 

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

Shindel
on 12/19/13 4:46 am

Yes, it counts. I am a week out and I sleep on my side. My doctor said it was fine.

childof60s
on 12/19/13 4:48 am
VSG on 12/17/13

thanks all for your replies!  I'm working on that isopure, it's taking soooo long, but at least it tastes ok!  I took your advice and have been holding a pillow on my abdomen and that's helping to stabilize me as I stand up and sit down, and actually managed to lie down on my left side in bed and slept for an hour!  HEAVEN!

thanks also for reinforcing that this is just for this moment, and that it will get much better every day!  

I'm walking, walking, walking, sipping, sipping, sipping, resting and then doing it all over again. :)   

This is a wonderful resource, thank you for your help!

Immediately after surgery: Blood sugars normal, metformin discontinued! Month 1: 18.2 lbs lost;  Month 2: 11 lbs lost.  Month 3: 11 lbs lost

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views