How long does it take you to get 4oz down?

Minda626
on 12/20/13 11:07 pm
VSG on 12/17/13
I am 4 days post op today. It is taking me 45 mins to an hour to get in 3 or 4 oz of clear fluids. If I go faster, I burp a lot and it feels like it's bubbling up into my throat and it is really uncomfortable. I'm forcing myself to take 2-4 oz of full liquid within 10-20 mins as my instructions say, and just dealing with the gas/reflux. Day 2 I got in only 20oz,virtually no protein. Day 3 I was up to 40 oz, still practically no protein. My urine is dark, but my skin snaps back. Am I in danger of dehydration? Is this normal? Not being able to get things down is such a foreign sensation for someone who could never cram in enough, you know?
JennyLove
on 12/21/13 12:01 am - Douglasville , GA

It is very weird to go from too much to not enough. For me, days 1-4 post op were the hardest for getting my fluids in. I got in 15-20 oz. on those days, those fluids came from my Nectar Protein drinks. It took me 2 or more hours to get in 4 oz. in. Things felt so tight and weird, and I was a little scared, so I went really slow.  Day 5 post op was a really good day for me, when I woke up that morning, I could immediately tell some swelling had gone down and I was able to sip without it hurting. So from that day on things started moving faster, it took my about an hour to drink an 8 oz. nectar and I started moving closer to meeting my protein goals. What kinds of fluids are you drinking? What does your plan say about protein drinks post op?  Are you taking a ppi for the reflux?

Minda626
on 12/21/13 12:37 am
VSG on 12/17/13
I came home with an rx for Pepcid twice a day, which I am taking. I have been drinking water mostly, and some Crystal Light lemonade. I tried making a chocolate peanut butter protein shake from my surgeon's instruction book on day 2 and it took me until day 3 to fini****! Yesterday I ate a Greek yogurt all day long, about a tablespoon at a time. I also tried grape Isopure (gag!), but only managed a couple ounces. I also had a half cup of broth with a little protein powder mixed in. Today, I made a 4 oz creamsicle shake and that went down OK. I also tried some pre-made Atkins shake that's on the list from my nut. I just feel like I'm doing this wrong or something!

VSG 12/17/13   HW 325   SW 281   GW 149

JennyLove
on 12/21/13 9:05 am - Douglasville , GA

I think a lot of people feel like they are doing something wrong!! It can be overwhelming. Hopefully in the next few days the swelling will go down enough to where you can get the thicker shakes in. Try mixing them with water instead of milk (you might already be doing this though.) Maybe mix in a scoop of protein powder in with your yogurts, think of creative ways to sneak it in if you can.  I think you just have to relax some and use your body as a guide. I know it doesn't help much now, but in a few weeks you will start to get in a groove and things really will come easier.

Minda626
on 12/21/13 12:40 am
VSG on 12/17/13
I came home with an rx for Pepcid twice a day, which I am taking. I have been drinking water mostly, and some Crystal Light lemonade. I tried making a chocolate peanut butter protein shake from my surgeon's instruction book on day 2 and it took me until day 3 to fini****! Yesterday I ate a Greek yogurt all day long, about a tablespoon at a time. I also tried grape Isopure (gag!), but only managed a couple ounces. I also had a half cup of broth with a little protein powder mixed in. Today, I made a 4 oz creamsicle shake and that went down OK. I also tried some pre-made Atkins shake that's on the list from my nut. I just feel like I'm doing this wrong or something!

VSG 12/17/13   HW 325   SW 281   GW 149

Mary Catherine
on 12/21/13 12:04 am

Your individual body is not always ready at the time your instructions say it is.  Are you taking medicine for the reflux?

Your sleeve is still swollen.  Warm liquids are easier.  The swelling normally goes away and then drinking is much easier.  Getting in as much liquid as possible is important now.  Just keep sipping.  Try sugar-free popsicles, hot tea, broth, and Isopure. 

None of us rolled off the surgery table and were able to get in all of our protein right away.  One day at a time and it will get easier.

mickeymantle
on 12/21/13 1:00 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

the first week don't worry about the protein , you need to work to get the liquid in , ice pops worked great for me , also jello

my plan called for 1 oz water every 15 minutes for the first week plus what ever full liquid I could drink 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

rengirl1978
on 12/21/13 9:14 am - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

I am 3 days post-op and able to do 4oz in 30 mins. If I don't pay attention and accidentally sip more then it does hurt for sure!

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

Imthatladee
on 12/21/13 11:12 am - VA

I am 5 days post op. I thought that I would have big problems getting fluids down but by day 3, I was able to get in 20 gm of proteins and broth. Today I'm up to 50 grams of protein, broth and 20 oz of water   I was told to wait 2 weeks after surgery for Prilosec.  Not sure why??  All in all, I feel great. I sip slowly all day and am looking forward to puréed food!  I think managing your pain helps. I take my codeine twice a day now but it seemed to ease my swelling some and I could drink easier. Good luck!

angryimthatladee

VSG ON 12/16/2013;  HW: 272;  SW: 247;  GW: 170

Most Active