Am I doing something wrong or is this normal

luvbskts
on 12/22/13 10:53 pm

I was sleeved on 12/17.  The last couple of days I've been hungry....really hungry.  This morning at 8:15, I drank about 3 oz of a protein shake.  I started drinking water around 9:15.  Now, my tummy is growling and I'm hungry.  This is my daily routine...yesterday, I did add some strained cream of chicken soup.  What can I do to improve this?

G5x5
on 12/22/13 11:05 pm - VA

I found similar experience in the two weeks following surgery; however, it was MUCH better than the two weeks pre-surg diet.

Mostly it's the lack of solids in your belly and your mind playing tricks on you.  Simply put, all the shakes in the world won't help you when you really want a cheeseburger.

The feeling diminishes greatly as you move to soft foods and pretty much goes away when back to solids.

in the meantime, follow what you've heard.  Drink lots of water and don't be afraid to hit the sugar-free Popsicles hard.  I think I had nine of them on my worst day.  Also, I found crunching flavored crushed ice all day took my kind off things.  I was a big fan of using MIO for this.  Other than that, stay busy doing whatever.  That helps also.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Keith L.
on 12/22/13 11:08 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Just ride it out. It is normal to some degree but will go away. Keep in mind you are still healing and there are lots of raw nerve endings that are just sort of hanging out along your staple line firing away. Once they are fully healed that will will stop. Another very common thing at this stage is stomach acid. If you are not taking a PPI then you should start. Over the counter Prilosec or Prevacid work just fine. I take double the dosage on the package because that is what the prescription dosage will be.

Just hang in there I promise it just gets better and better.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

meredith10
on 12/22/13 11:15 pm - salisbury, MD

I had my post op appointment this morning and have been advanced to blended foods. I came home and had some sf oatmeal. The best thing ever!!!!  I am scared to eat..don't want to blow it.. We will do it.. Oh I am down 14 pounds since surgery! 

Life is good...

mary

Stmp1120
on 12/22/13 11:47 pm

Good Morning, I was also sleeved on 12/17 and this morning I woke up
STARVING!  I couldn't believe it.  I'm still on clear liquids so that may have something to do with it.  I had 1 oz of jello and a SF popsicle (takes about 20 mins to eat that) now 1 hr later hungry again.  I'll keep sipping the water.  I  hope we can keep in touch as we struggle through these issues.  I just joined this forum last night and I know it is going to be a life-saver!  Just reading the various blogs are encouraging.  Good luck, it just one day at a time for us!

The_True_KayD
on 12/23/13 12:28 am

I was sleeved on Dec 3. Early on my stomach did alot of talking..grumbling, whining and growling. I decided to just let my stomach do all the talking that it wanted to do. I decided to trust that my body would tell me if it needed food. Staying on the eating schedule kept me at consistent energy levels. One time I was late with my eating, my body let me know..I felt drained and in need of fuel. I am not confident that my stomach is a good measure of hunger due to the fact that it is still healing. 

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

happyteacher
on 12/23/13 1:30 am

Very normal- it is because of the phase you are in.  The full liquids, puree, and soft food are not satiating like dense protein.  No worries- when you finally get to eat 2 ounces of chicken, you will feel like you ate a semi-truck.  Hang in there- this time is awesome because your body is actively working on resetting itself and the pallete is changing.  It won't be long before you start craving food like salad, fish- healthy, healthy choices!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Weezy_1007
on 12/23/13 2:02 am
VSG on 12/18/13

I was sleeved on 12/18 and have started thinking I am hungry. Thankfully I started this site for months before surgery, I just telling myself all the things the just posted You. 

Am so thankful that  I found this site. It is really helping me talk myself through. Good luck!

AngelHeavenscent
on 12/23/13 8:28 am

I was sleeved on December 18th. I was ravenous when I came home from the hospital. I still am. Can't offer you any advice because I'm struggling myself. However, I did want you to know that you're not alone. 

Side note: my fellow VSGer's have told me that they have experienced the same kind of head hunger. I was also told that it does get better with time. :)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views