Can I really do this?

BlessedMama
on 12/23/13 12:33 am

It was a rough weekend for me. On one hand, I'm so excited about the surgery, and the process is moving ahead well. On the other hand, I haven't done so well with changing the way I eat. Should I cut myself some slack and be proud of the changes I have made? Weighing everyday, beginning to track everything in myfitnesspal, drinking all my water, because all I can focus on is that I ate my son's body weight in baked goods yesterday at my husband's aunts house. The Saturday night party went pretty well - I stayed away from the dessert tray entirely, and mainly stuck with the turkey meatballs I brought for the potluck and drank unsweetened tea. I did have a couple of teaspoonfuls of several of the dips, but better than the heaping tablespoonfuls from before. Am I focusing too much on those evil cookies, brownies, and crystallized grapefruit, and can't appreciate what I've already done? I hate my head and the self defeating attitude, but I can't quite seem to get what I should be focusing on now.

Forgive the rambling, and any encouragement would really be appreciated!

Thanks!

Elyse HW - 285 CW - 285 GW - 140   37 YO, 5'7 -  Seminar-11/19, 1st surgeon visit-12/3

Follow my journey at http://140byforty.blogspot.com/.

soprofound
on 12/23/13 12:36 am - roswell, GA
VSG on 07/30/13

take it one day at a time. after surgery you wont be able to eat those things anymore. at least for a while you wont want to anyway

stacie914
on 12/23/13 12:58 am

You need to cut yourself some slack but it is also good you realized that you overate and made some choices to help you along the way.  My thought was if I could do it alone, I would not have been sleeved we all need the help the sleeve can offer but it is just that-help.  The choices are still yours to make.  I am newly sleeved and I am scared that I will not be able to control myself once I feel like eating and can eat again but that is a hurdle I will have to overcome.  I know two weeks before the liquid diet I was eating anything that I could get my hands on and had a "bucket list" of food.  Now I was able to control it and have a few slices of pizza instead of the whole pizza or a few wings instead of a dozen but I still ate.  The holidays are especially tough and food will be everywhere so you do have a battle.  During the six month process, myfitness pal was a lifesaver and allowed me to see what I was really consuming.  It also allowed me to plan for those holiday meals a little better because I could plan my meals throughout the day and if I cheated one day, I took it easy the next.  Make sure you always have water when you are at a party (flavored may help) because you can fill up with the water and walk away from the food.  Hang in there!

HW: 369.8  SW: 338.6

SteveWebb
on 12/23/13 2:24 am - NC

My Family and I went out of state to my Parents this weekend and I ate like a pig at dinner time.  Did ok except for dinner.  Both nights, ham, sweet potato suffle, do I need to go on.  I still pre-op but I told Mom this was my last year getting to eat like this.  I did feel some guilt though.  I'm trying to get back on track today.  Hoping to have a surgery date within the next few weeks.  Merry Christmas to all.

Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end". 

Sandy M.
on 12/23/13 2:32 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

What you're going through right now is exactly why you need the surgery.  Most of us go through the yo-yo dieting all our lives, and then come to the realization that what we're doing is just not working for us.  Being aware of what you're doing is a fantastic first step - after surgery you'll have a period of time where it's easier to change your habits; if you're willing to, which it sounds like you are.  

This dreadful holiday food season will soon be over, and we can all focus on what's really important - our health and happiness!

You're doing just fine - good luck with your surgery!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

tdallison
on 12/23/13 2:57 am - TX
VSG on 08/26/13

Yes you can do this!  None of us are perfect and I think a big key to success is to recognize when you "mess up", get right back on track and continue your journey.  enlightened

Toni Dallison

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength" Phil. 4:13

rengirl1978
on 12/23/13 4:09 am - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

You're doing okay! I splurged with food before my surgery which was 12/18. But now I am following my post op diet and watching my body shirk! You'll do great.

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 267 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views