Food Consistency Swallowing Problems

hope123
on 12/29/13 12:54 pm, edited 12/29/13 12:56 pm - MO

I'm 9 weeks post-op from the sleeve, and still have a major gag-reflex.  I tried drinking a very smooth fruit smoothie, and even the tiniest bit of pulp or piece of fruit felt like it was stuck in my mouth and throat all day.  I went to an ENT and he said my voice box is swollen from acid, although I'm taking Omeprazole two or three times per day, and Carafate.  I don't feel like I'm having as much problems with acid anymore, but I can't seem to get my throat to heal.

Food still doesn't appeal to me, and if I try the tiniest bite, it still doesn't taste the same as it used to either.

Any suggestions, or what did you do?

Thanks

mickeymantle
on 12/29/13 1:36 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you need to go see your doctor again maybe you need a different ppi, maybe an anti inflammatory drug

ice pops might help and you will get more liquids in

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Stacy T.
on 12/29/13 5:01 pm - Akron, OH

It sort of sounds like the doctor is going to have to dialate your food pipe because you may have a hiatal hernia. In any case, it sounds miserable. Make an appointment asap.

LosingSarah
on 12/29/13 11:02 pm - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

So sorry to hear you are still having issues :(  What is your doctor saying?  Talk to him!  Didn't you have a hiatal hernia already repaired with your sleeve? This is in response to seeing the previous poster.

I hope you feel better soon.

hope123
on 12/30/13 3:17 am - MO

Yes, I already had a hiatal hernia repair when I had the sleeve surgery.  Sigh...I'm getting so tired of this nightmare.

LosingSarah
on 12/30/13 6:10 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

I can't imagine :(  You must be full of so many emotions right now. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views