Three things I learned over the holidays (so far)

G5x5
on 12/30/13 2:46 am - VA

(1) I'm more comfortable in my daily routine where I control all the variables related to food.  While I made all the correct choices during the week's travels, things like not having a scale, and not having more precise calorie counts, left me nervous.  I suspect I tended to under eat at times due to those uncertainties.

(2) Late nights do not work well for the process.  While up late on Christmas eve, wrapping packages, I definetely had to deal with a lot more hunger than normal and had to go as far as breaking out a snack (turkey pepperoni) which that I usually don't need.

(3) Gooey chocolate chip cookies might as well be heroin.  Given my current position, I opted to eat one of the cookies left out for Santa Claus this year.  The minute it was in my mouth it was like a bomb went off in my head.  I could have easy devoured the rest of them without even noticing and only avoided that fate by exercising absolute self control.

Just a few thoughts which might benefit the crowd.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 12/30/13 2:56 am, edited 12/30/13 2:56 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
"Gooey chocolate chips might as well be heroin." LOL. Unfortunately there are no methadone clinics for us cookie monsters.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Tracy D.
on 12/30/13 3:17 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Can't help it - I just have to piggyback on this theme :-)  

THREE THINGS I LEARNED (AND RE-LEARNED) OVER THE HOLIDAYS:

1. Recreational sugar is my crack -- doesn't matter how it's packaged.  "One" of something is too many and a hundred will never be enough.  I. CAN'T. DO. SUGAR.

2.  Getting the stomach flu for 4 days running will get a girl to goal weight really fast (more to come on this later...)

3.  People seriously don't give a **** what you put in your mouth as long as you make them feel good about themselves.  I have become the queen this season of focusing on others and then surreptitiously discarding food gifted to me (only necessary if my, "sorry I'm diabetic" tactic doesn't work).  I can palm a piece of peanut brittle and get it in the garbage with the grace of a magician.  Or switch plates with my nephew and have him eat all the cheesecake before anyone is the wiser.  I can draw out the eating of 4 oz. of prime rib and make delightful conversation while others are cleaning their plates.  And I can "ooh" and "aah" with the best of them over some delicious concoction without ever taking a bite.   Did it work ALL the time for me this holiday season?  Nope...but it did 90% of the time! 

Honest-to-god....I'm already tired of all the weight-loss commercials on TV but I am GLAD - GLAD I TELL YOU! - that the rest of the world will be in weight-loss-mode the next month or so. 

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

VSG on 06/12/13
Love love LOVE your #3! Brilliant...

And I hear you on the 30 day collective focus on weight loss. My trainer and I were taking bets today on just how bad its going to be, and for how long. I am hoping the crowds disappear by February 1. Is that evil of me?

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Needasplace
on 12/30/13 8:39 am - Plainfield, IL
VSG on 11/18/13

Amen!  I've found since my surgery I can indeed "ooh and aah" at the sweet delicacies without tasting them!!!  How cool is that....and now I can actually sit and talk through a dinner without my mouth being crammed full of food!!! Way cool                      and as far as the weight loss commercials go....we are all on track while everyone else is trying to figure out what  "losers" method they want to try this year!  We've found something that works and we're sticking to it.  The outcome is fascinating to say the least.  Oh the beauty of it all.  In a few months .....let's say 90 days....whose gonna be smiling?????smiley

MayPenGirl
on 12/30/13 4:06 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 04/03/13

Thanks for sharing!!

Surgery date - 04/03/13; Goal date - 11/10/13 (I reached goal in 31 weeks & 4 days)

Highest weight 261  SW 258  GW 150   M1 -26  M2 -14  M3 -10  M4 -12  M5 -13  M6 -12  M7 -11  M8 -10  In maintenance since November 2013  HT- 5'6"  

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 58 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 58 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 234 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 308 views