water

wkeener
on 1/4/14 1:02 am - TX

Why do we need this much water can't we just drink alittle less

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/14 1:52 am - Canada

Well technically you can do anything you want ;)

I too think the water requirement is excessive.  But then I have always been chronically dehydrated because I really hate to drink unless I'm parched. I think ultimately it is good for you and your body to be well hydrated.  

Keep at it, even if you don't hit your goal every day, try to.  If you aim for less then you will give yourself the allowance of less then goal and it's a downward spiral.

Good luck!

4dogsgowild
on 1/4/14 2:06 am
VSG on 12/13/13

Water helps flush your system and helps with weight loss. 

HW: 260  SW: 238  CW: 202    M1: -23 

A. Kondrlik
on 1/4/14 2:08 am
VSG on 01/24/13

Constipation is a major issue with VSG post ops. fluid intake is important in keeping things moving!  My program requires  64 plus ounces of fluid a day, which is 8 cups.  Many drink more than that.  My program did not stress low carb but if you choose to go the low carb direction I think the recommendation is over 100 ounces a day. I can usually get 88 to 92 ounces a day.  On a good day I will get over 100. 

The first few months our diet is very protein heavy.  High protein can be hard on the kidneys so it is really important to take in enough fluid to keep  your kidneys working well  Fluid is your first priority in those first post op weeks 

It is really easy post op to get dehydrated, many have ended up back in the hospital with IV fluids.  Because our sleeve is small and swollen post op it is really difficult to "catch up" with your fluid intake once you get behind.

Anne 

wkeener
on 1/4/14 2:12 am - TX

I understand now but I'm 7 months out and have reached my goal so i think i can use less ?

themexcellentone
on 1/4/14 2:23 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with
Staying hydrated is critical no matter where you are along this path. Besides, drinking plenty of water keeps your skin looking nice, your kidneys happy and your GI tract functioning. Personally, if I am not eating, I'm drinking from the time I get up until the time I go to bed. I drink almost a gallon each day.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

slimpickins5280
on 1/4/14 3:07 am - CO

Many people who get to maintenance find that they have to be MORE vigilant instead of less. It is very easy to fall back into old habits. You've made a lifelong change by having WLS. IMO, you need to consider what parts of those changes you want to take with you while you navigate the sometimes nebulous area of maintenance. My experience has shown that being a good water drinker can make a big different in my day-to-day activities, holidays, vacations and anytime that i feel like I need to get back on track. I'm still technically in the weight loss phase, but I've been doing this for awhile and I can say that drinking water has helped me avoid regain. My weight loss has been slow, but it has always trended down. I attribute a large portion of this trend to changes like drinking 12-14 (96-112 oz) glasses of water a day and making them permanent changes. 

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

slimpickins5280
on 1/4/14 2:09 am - CO

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

TexasTerritory
on 1/4/14 2:26 am
VSG on 07/22/13
Thanks for the info

slimpickins5280
on 1/4/14 2:57 am - CO

You're welcome. 

Obviously some of the info doesn't apply to WLS patients (eating and drinking at the same time, etc), but the general information is good. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 249 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 317 views