New Gym membership!

Annievvho
on 1/13/14 10:09 am - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

I had been going to Planet Fitness, which is a great gym at a very affordable price, especially if you have a schedule that's a little all over the place, and if you don't have kids, and if all you want to do is lift or use cardio equipment. 

Today, though, I joined the YMCA. I got a family membership, so my 5 year old can go and take advantage of the child activities, and I can utilize the childcare when I am going to workout. It's still affordable, especially considering all the perks (they have financial aid available on a sliding scale). Best of all, today I did 45 minutes of cardio. Afterwards, I was getting into my car and bumped into the friend who encouraged me to switch over. She and another friend were headed to a Barre class, so I went along. It was the most exercise I've done since my surgery, and I wasn't really expecting to do both, so I only got part way through stretches at the end when I had to stop (and go take a Zofran. I thought I was going to be sick!) but I did my best through the class, and I'm pretty proud of myself. I have plans to go 2 other nights this week with the girls, and maybe some other times also! This is going to be great!

mustlovepoodles
on 1/13/14 10:28 am
VSG on 12/31/13

Good for you~!  I hope working out with the girls keeps you motivated to continue.

I know how you feel with the nausea. I cannot do the group exercises (low impact aerobics, zumba, and yoga.)  I have moderate chronic vertigo and all that flipping my head this way and that is a sure fire way to make me throw up. Both of my knees are so bad now that i can't tolerate even the low impact or the pivots required by aerobics and zumba. 

DH signed us up for YMCA about 2 weeks before Christmas. I went for my first session exactly one week post op, with my doctor's blessing. I'm only allowed to walk and do the recumbent bike (due to my knee.)  I have to wait until all the incisions are completely healed to go into the pool for water aerobics. I met with an exercise coach there at the Y and he & i will meet about every 2 weeks to work on my program. So far, I've been walking at home and in the gym. I'm only walking about 1/2 mile, due to the pain in my knees and feet, but I'll keep trying. I can bike about 2 miles now, totally surprising.  I haven't done any exercise to speak of in several years.

I have made an agreement with DH to meet him at the Y every M-W-F @ 3pm. This time, i HAVE to stick with it.

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

Annievvho
on 1/13/14 11:13 am, edited 1/13/14 11:14 am - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

Yes, having buddies helps keep me motivated and accountable, and having childcare on site keeps me from using my son as an excuse not to go. I also feel like it will be great to work on healthful traditions and activity together. I can't think of a better way to promote a healthy lifestyle for him.

I bet the water aerobics (once allowed) will be wonderful for you. I had tried to get my husband to sign up for them in the past because he has debilitating arthritis that limits his comfort in some forms of activity (he's had it since he was a teenager). His doctors have also suggested it as a good option for him. Good luck to you! You and your husband keep each other motivated!

As for the nausea, I think for me it was more that I hadn't really eaten appropriately for so much working out. I've learned my lesson though, and I'll plan ahead for the next time I go - making sure I bring some small food with me if I'm going to have an elaborate long workout.

VSG on 06/12/13
Good for you! Find something you enjoy and it'll be easier to stick with it.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Annievvho
on 1/13/14 11:19 am - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

Thanks! I was really impressed reading your numbers from your hydrostatic test. To think it's possible to get to the point of my body type being athletic was intensely motivational! Great work!

VSG on 06/12/13
Thanks- I can hardly wrap my head around it myself. Hard to believe I am so close to goal.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 88 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views