More Info Please

56sunShine14
on 2/2/14 10:57 am

So, if you read my first post last night, you know I am wanting VSG after a poor experience with the Lap Band.  But i have not yet found some info I am looking for and know someone here can help.

how long  do you have to spend in the hospital after surgery, keeping in mind mine is a revision and I am hoping that both can be done in same surgery?  I know this may not be possible but  because I cannot spend too long away from home for other reasons, I need to do this in as short a time as possible.

Can I pretty much take care of myself for the first few days after?  I did after the Lap Band surgery and also after having my knee replaced so hoping it will be same for this.

Does everyone have to do the 6 month waiting/journaling pre-surgery?

If so, can I start now before seeing a surgeon - will it count - or do I have to start after my first visit?

Thanks for all of your help on this!!

56sunShine14
on 2/3/14 3:44 am

So I am surprised that nobody answered.  Is there another place I can find this info?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/3/14 4:05 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Call your insurance company. Pre-op approval requirements are different for everybody as far as supervised diets, what constitutes a diet (can you just check in with your doctor, do they need medical notes/receipts/etc.), what the insurance company needs for proof, etc. Forum members can chime in, but your insurance makes the decision, so you'll need their word.

I'm not a revision patient, but I spent one night in the hospital-- surgery at 8am, left at 4pm the next day, once I was able to drink on my own. I was dead to the world for the next few days and slept most of the time, so as long as you're able to get up to ge****er and make it to the restroom on your own, I imagine you might be ok on your own.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

56sunShine14
on 2/5/14 2:37 am

Thanks for your help Sparklekitty.  I am getting ready to call the insurance as I know they are the final word but there is no better place to get real advice than from those who have experienced it.  I do realize everyone is different and will recover, etc. differently but still appreciate what everyone has to say.  Again, thank you!

Bufflehead
on 2/3/14 4:33 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I spent two nights in the hospital, that is standard for my surgeon. It seems to vary between one or two nights for the vast majority of folks.

You should be able to take care of yourself as long as you don't have to lift anything over about 10 lbs or drive. I couldn't lift more than 8 lbs for 4 weeks, so I had to have my housekeeper come for a few extra visits to change kitty litter, take out the recycling, etc., as I live alone. But for a few days, you should be just fine.

With respect to insurance requirements, that is going to vary by each individual insurance plan. Your plan document ("member handbook" or something similar) should spell out the requirements for bariatric surgery. Good luck!

jlianc
on 2/3/14 9:10 am

It's up to your insurance company and doctor.  There are companies that require no wait time, 6 months, etc.  Docs that require 6 months supervised diet, some none.  I don't know about revision- it seems most people need a healing time first, but again, that's bound to vary doc by doc.  Good luck! 

56sunShine14
on 2/5/14 2:38 am

Thanks so much to everyone *****sponds to my post!  It all is important to me.  :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 265 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views