Abilify and Weight Stall

ACBrequelle
on 2/8/14 11:41 am

Hi everyone.  I have been on a stall for about 2.5 months now.  I had a complete breadown 2 weeks ago because I was so disappointed with my progress.  I went back to the pouch test and then back to basics. By basics I mean protien shake for breakfast, protein shake for lunch and a sensible dinner....coupled with 4-5 days a week of cardio (1 hour each day).  It's been 2 freaking weeks and I haven't lost a pound!  I just want to throw myself on the ground and throw a tantrum like a child.  :(  

Yesterday I realized that I have been on Abiligfy for 3 months and the lightbulb went on.  Anyone else have a hard time losing on Abilify...or even gaining?  I'm thinking I might need to talk to the doc about a new med....I'm wondering if Abilify is the culprit.  

Thanks in advance!  

Mom_2_4
on 2/8/14 1:21 pm
VSG on 05/22/13

I was on Abilify at the time of surgery and my weight loss has been slower than others here. But I don't know if it was because of the abilify.  I did begin to have side affects so my Doctor switched me to Wellbutrin which has a hunger supression side affect.  I have noticed a difference in hunger but my weight is not coming off any faster.  I don't know if any of this helps but I thought I could share my experience if it helps at all.  Good Luck on your journey.

Elisa

HW: 254  SW: 238.2  CW:179.6 1st GW: ONEDERLAND 2nd GW: 150 GW: 135  Surgery: 5/22/13      

ACBrequelle
on 2/9/14 1:14 am

Thank you!  Yes, my weighloss has been slower than others as well.  I have lost 70 but still have 30 to go and it feels like I will never get there!!!  I'm 1.5 years post VSG so I feel like my honeymoon phase is long gone!  I can't help but think the Abilify has something to do with it.  

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/9/14 2:54 am
RNY on 08/05/19

That would make sense for sure. I was on Abilify for a while before my surgery, and IIRC I gained 20-30lb on it. Wheeeeee psych meds :(

Definitely bring it up with your doctor! There aren't a whole lot of "weight neutral" meds, and everybody reacts differently to each of them, as far as metabolism goes, but it sure couldn't hurt to try something else.

Watch out, though-- Abilify is notorious for bad discontinuation syndrome. I had a VERY rough time coming off of it, and I was at a low dose, so be careful!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

snazzy
on 2/10/14 9:16 am

My son (15 autism) was on abilify. We just took him off due to the connection of abilify to diabetes and the weight gain. He has maintained his weight and not seeking out food as much. He did ok coming off of it and is now on Buspiron and seems to tolerate it well. Good luck to you!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views