Does Your Protein Shake Make You Bloated?

Sandy M.
on 2/12/14 3:04 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

I listened in on an interesting conversation on Dr. Radio this morning.  A lady called in complaining that she always felt so bloated and gassy after drinking her protein shakes, and her family was complaining.  The culprit, according to the doctors, was probably sugar alcohols (mannitol, sorbital, xylitol, basically anything ending with an 'ol') used as an artificial sweetener in many products.  The same thing can happen if you eat a lot of sugar-free candy containing the same ingredients.

First thing I did was check the nutrition label on my shake - whew, no sugar alcohol in it!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 2/12/14 3:22 am - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

Nope.  It was the 20 years of quarter pounders and classic cokes that made me bloated. :)

Kidding, kidding!  I don't really have an issue with protein drinks, but many folks have sensitivity to sugar alcohols.  For me, Malitol is a killer.  It's the favorite for sugar free chocolates.  I can usually get 2-3 in me before my guts turn inside out.  The sensitivity varies though from person to person.  I know people who can eat enough to practically put me in the hospital and be fine.

Yes, I hate them. :)

HW: 495  Consult: 390  SW: 361 CW: 289

April is Autism Awareness Month!

Sandy M.
on 2/12/14 3:37 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

I hear ya on the quarter pounders and cokes!  I'm not a huge fan of sugar-free/fat-free most of the time, although I do sometimes have a protein shake, and do flavor my water.  I'm going to be on the lookout now for the sugar alcohol additives!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

SophieNJ
on 2/12/14 11:17 pm - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

I was fine with all the protein shakes, and sugar free alcohols for the first 5-6 months, having at least 2 a day for meals....then all of a sudden, the body decided NO MORE!!  Not sure exatly what it was, the sugar alcohol or the whey, but I only have one now when I am 'backed up' LOL.   The body is a strange and complex thing...it *hates* salad now..can't tolerate any kind of greens/lettuces (which is what my well meaning friends and family offer me, thinking I only eat 'diet' food now LOL).

Sophie

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views