My Heart Sank

56sunShine14
on 2/15/14 12:32 am

After reading so very many posts here, I became so excited about asking for a revision to the Sleeve that I got right on it.  Have a surgeon appt. in April, started looking into everything and found I had made one big mistake.  I THOUGHT my insurance, CHAMPVA, covered the sleeve but on further reading, that was wrong.  They do NOT cover it but do cover takedown (of the band which I do have).  That is my only insurance as I am on disability for my spine and neck and not yet eligible for Medicare.

I have another post here asking for info and still am looking for all info I can get. 

My heart sank after finding this out!  I am so upset because I need this revision. I have to wait til April for any work from the surgeon or his billing staff.  If I am going to be jumping thru hoops for coverage I would like to start now.  Going to see if I can get in in March but already know that means changing surgeons and this one I have is the best of them as far as I can see.  Not to say the others are not as good, just that their bios don't have as much for me to see.

ANY info you have is welcome!  I was on top of the world and visualizing my post surgery life and now feel I am stuck here.

sillymilly
on 2/15/14 1:33 am - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

I can't offer any information, but I do hope everything works out for you!

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

56sunShine14
on 2/15/14 4:26 am

I will also take good lucks and hopes.  :)  Thanks sillymilly

VSG on 06/12/13

"I was on top of the world and visualizing my post surgery life and now feel I am stuck here."

Your statement describes my life from December 2012 until May of 2013. I was denied by insurance 2 times, and eventually hired Walter Lindstrom's office to appeal. I ended up winning that appeal, but my life was completely in limbo during that time. I felt like I had to give up a lot of dreams during that time. I see now that I only delayed them.

Don't give up. You have options. I know that the feeling you are feeling is absolutely, crushingly devastating, but don't give up. Explore what options you have regarding appeals. Talk to Lindstrom's office to find out what your options and best approach are. But don't give up.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

56sunShine14
on 2/15/14 4:29 am

I have a question, who is Walter Lindstrom?  Thank you so much for your advice!  I am looking into another insurance, blue cross probably to find something I can afford each month that might help.  But am afraid that they will make me wait a year even if they do cover it.  Living in limbo is not fun!

VSG on 06/12/13

http://wlsappeals.com/

I would definitely suggest you look at their site and consider contacting them.

Good luck,

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

56sunShine14
on 2/16/14 1:43 am

Thank you and I will look at that now.

cindysister
on 8/4/16 12:55 am

I know this is 2 years down the road from your post, but wanted to let you know that CHAMPVA now covers the sleeve. It's not yet in their online policy manual, but you can call the 800 number and get the info. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 264 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views