Insulin resistance?!? Diabetes??? I thought it was GONE!

childof60s
on 3/1/14 11:53 pm
VSG on 12/17/13

Hi OH family, 

I don't post too much but I read everything and have learned so much for you all.  I honestly think you collectively know more than the physicians sometimes.  So I turn to you.

Prior to the surgery, I had diabetes, not raging diabetes, but I had an A1c that was concerning enough that my doctor put me on Metformin.  I believe I started out with a level of 6.8, and with a strict low/no carb diet I got it down to 6.1.

However, I just couldn't get it down lower than that.  The issue seemed to be my insulin resistance.  My fasting blood sugars were always elevated in the 120s-130s, but the rest of the day my blood sugars were absolutely perfect, even on the lower end, e.g. one hour post would be 120-130, two hours post 90-100.  

Anyway, I'd say the #1 reason for having this surgery was to eliminate diabetes.  The disease terrifies me.  I know how it can be devastating, with blindness, amputations and pain.

So, the day after my surgery, I guess some bloodwork had been run and my numbers must have been great because my surgeon told me to discontinue my Metformin.  

It's now week 9 and I've been testing my blood sugars just for curiousity, and I'm finding that my fasting blood sugars are still in the 120's-130's!  And, as before, after meals, my sugar is perfect.  Did nothing change??

I'll be having "official" bloodwork done this week in anticipation of an MD follow up visit next week.  I'm scared that I'll be "re-diagnosed" with diabetes, put back on metformin, possibly insulin in the future and be in danger of all the ravages of this disease again. 

The only thing that I have to admit that I've been remiss in is exercise.  The most I've been doing is the Leslie Sansone exercise video "Walk Away The Pounds" 2-3 days a week.  Would omitting more rigorous exercise have such an impact on blood sugars?

Thanks in advance, I'm pretty upset about all this!

Co60s

Immediately after surgery: Blood sugars normal, metformin discontinued! Month 1: 18.2 lbs lost;  Month 2: 11 lbs lost.  Month 3: 11 lbs lost

SophieNJ
on 3/2/14 12:05 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

there are so many variables in day to day readings....I'd wait for the A1C to determine where I stand with it.....while I was pre-diabetes with numbers similar to yours, after 6 months my A1C was 4.4!! I thought that was a mistake, so low, but give it time, your body needs to adjust.  Hubby, who's A1C was up in the 8's and 9's is now low 7's, off most meds, down from 5 shots to 2 shots (long acting), and those 2 are getting the dose lowered little by little.  He's almost a year out.

Good luck!!

Sophie

Tiffanybeal
on 3/2/14 12:31 am - OH
VSG on 12/30/13

My dr said for some people morning blood sugars can be higher but as long as it isn't going over 130 and the rest of the day it is good that I shouldn't worry. Also I wouldn't pani****il you see your A1C

mickeymantle
on 3/2/14 1:43 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

at the start of my journey my a1c was 6.8 with slow release insulin byetta and metiformin, just pre-surgey my a1c was 5.8 on the same meds after surgery I was taken off all med except metiformin and my a1c is 6.2 and my pcp says when I lose more weight I will probly not need that

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Tracy D.
on 3/2/14 10:56 pm, edited 3/2/14 10:57 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Fasting blood sugars and A1c are helped tremendously by exercise.  My A1c and sugars were pretty much what yours were; I'm running in the mid-80's for fasting glucose now with an A1c of 5.1-5.4.   

The biggest thing you can do to help yourself is walk at least 30 minutes a day.  You don't have to jog or run or anything like that...but you have to MOVE!  That is going to be the number one thing to get your sugar under control.  2-3 days a week isn't going to cut it.  

P.S.  This surgery doesn't "cure" diabetes.  It will simply put it into remission.  If you've been diagnosed and put on medication your body will never react to carbs like someone who has never had the disease.   Don't be fooled by people who tell you it's "cured" - not true!  If you start eating sugar or white carbs in excess and don't exercise, you WILL be back on medication so fast it'll make your head spin.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views