Sugar causes dumping

Mike_1964
on 3/3/14 12:58 am

I understand that sugar causes dumping for many.  Would that include a Greek yogurt that contains fructose and/or sucralose ?  I literally have my 2 oz in front of me and stopped when I saw some this info about dumping. 

Mike                                                                             VSG on 02/24/14

laviecharmee
on 3/3/14 3:33 am - CA
VSG on 12/16/13

Hi Mike 

(My husband is also named Mike and born in 1964) 

Unfortunately, it is gonna be one of those things you have to try and see how it works for you. I do not have any issues with dumping or sugar. I will tell you that Greek Yogurt makes me gurgly (my tummy rumbles a lot) but no pain or other adverse reactions. I know a number of people eat greek yogurt on a daily basis and have no issues and other people can't do it. Some of these things are trial and error. There is no guarantee that sugar or Greek Yogurt will have the same affect on you as it does others.

~ Kim     Never take away someone's hope, it may be all they have left

(DEC  -19)  (JAN  -16.4)  (FEB  -9.2)  (MAR -13.5)  (APR -4.8)  (MAY -4.6)  (JUN -8)

VPrincess228
on 3/3/14 3:54 am
VSG on 02/03/14

It seems that everyone is different, but I have only had dumping with REAL sugar.  The fake sugar has been fine so far.  All the splenda, sucralose, etc, has not had any adverse reactions FOR ME.  That has not been the case for others.  The real thing, however, not so lucky 

LAURA 28 years old  Height: 5' 6 1/2"  HW: 265  SW: 237  CW: 184

M1 -18  M2 -13  M3 -12  M4 -8

freckles1973
on 3/3/14 4:52 am - Canada

Same here. Been fine with sugars found in fruits..veggies..yogurts..etc. However..I had a small chocolate last Friday and my stomach and I felt icky for a couple of hours. Didn't feel like throwing up..but can see how it would have that effect for some people.

HW : 246 PW:220 SW:208 CW:130

VSG surgery on 09/10/2013 with Dr. Henri Atlas

(deactivated member)
on 3/3/14 9:55 am - Canada

I don't eat any artificial sweetners so anything I have that needs to be sweetened contains real sugar.  I've had no dumping.  

56sunShine14
on 3/4/14 12:19 am

Kekosmom, that is going to be my problem if I am lucky enough to get sleeved.  But sugar is my drug yet I cannot tolerate fake sweeteners.  Are you finding that having sugar will trigger a binge?  that is what I worry about.

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/14 12:49 am - Canada

I haven't had any problems with carbs or sugar triggering a binge.  Though I've had complications and eating has been difficult.  Now that I'm able to eat the way I should be, giving up the carbs I was consuming hasn't been hard and i didn't go through withdrawl. With my new tiny tummy I haven't been able to get enough in to really trigger carb overloading.  The sugar in my diet is basically only in my liquids and greek yogurt.  My NUT said to keep it under 6 teaspoons a day which I think I do easily.  Your diet changes so much that really it's not like you are getting sugar like before the surgery.  I'm not eating cake and ice cream so no binging desires so far.

Mike_1964
on 3/4/14 3:23 am

THANK YOU ALL for your feed back.  As I read through the posts here I knew I found a great group of supportive folks.  Too back there isn't some type of test like allergy testing to tell you what you can't have.  Trial and error will need to be the case.  I'm not a big sweets guy, but so many items like soup and such have a small amount of sugar listed. 

Thanks again all. 

Mike                                                                             VSG on 02/24/14

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/14 12:08 am - Canada

VSG in general doesn't cause dumping.  And what may not agree with you the first time you try may go down fine a few weeks later.  Rather than dumping I think it's more what your tummy is ready to handle.  

I still can't eat eggs...makes me sad :(

56sunShine14
on 3/5/14 1:04 am

Thanks for the info on that.  When I was using the working band, I had no issues and did not try to eat things I shouldn't have.  But sugar I think will always be an issue for me.  I am hoping that using just the little bit like you described I will be ok.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views