2 wks post op - big slow down

Mike_1964
on 3/11/14 1:23 am

Hi everyone,

I'm 2 weeks post op and wanted to know if others experienced this.  I lost 10 lbs during my 2 week pre op diet of 3 shakes and a small balanced meal.  The first week and half, the scale showed 2 - 4 lbs lost a day.  Then starting this weekend, almost nothing.  Down .5 a day for the last 4 days even though my activity is increasing and my diet is not.  I'm eating about 300 cal a day right now with 65% or more being protein. 

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. 

Mike                                                                             VSG on 02/24/14

Keith L.
on 3/11/14 1:26 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Well since you asked...stop worrying about what the scale says...for now. You are not even back to real food. Any thing you lose right now is all bonus. Just enjoy the process focus on healing and start worrying about rate of loss after you get back to full foods, that is when the game begins.

Nobody has a ski slope weight loss curve

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Mike_1964
on 3/11/14 1:34 am

Really.  I thought this time of slowly getting back to real food would be a continuing slope down and start to level off when I was back to real food. 

Thanks for the help Keith. 

Mike                                                                             VSG on 02/24/14

lalalyric
on 3/11/14 1:40 am

Was your surgery laprascopic?  If you had midline incision there is a lot of fluid in your body from IV and it takes a while for all of that to leave your body.  The day after my GBP I was 2 pounds heavier!  Then the it began to fall off! Not sure why you are not loosing now....that seems unusual and not the norm but everyone is different.  Hang in there. 

Keith L.
on 3/11/14 1:46 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Yeah, I think you will find a lot of this process to be ass backwards. You have to remember your body is healing from a very traumatic experience so its not exactly predictable or controlable at this point either. You just have to ride it out. Just stick to your plan, keep walking, drink your water and keep weighing yourself. You are going to have days where you rock it out and days that you will be like WTF! At about 6 weeks post op I had like 6 days in a row of the same weight, maybe even up a couple of points and then the next day I was down 7, that was one of the WTF. You will learn that in general week over week and month over month you just want to make sure the scale is going down. I have lots of periods in my history where my weight actually goes up, but over the course of my tracking periods the weight has always gone down. Even now where I have been within 20lbs of my goal for several months and I am losing about 1/4 lb per week I am still seeing the scale go down.

Trust the process and don't fret!

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

(deactivated member)
on 3/11/14 1:40 am - Canada

It's normal Mike, everyone experiences to some degree or another.  There will be other stalls along this journey that will drive you nuts but keep remembering it's all normal.  If you haven't done so yet, take your measurements.  I stalled for 3 weeks and in that time of the scale not moving I lost an inch through my chest (measured under the breast).  You are losing even when your not losings lol...don't be disheartened!

Maureen K.
on 3/11/14 1:42 am

hi there, oh yes I too lost the first 2 weeks then not an ounce for 6 long weeks after that hopefully you won't have to wait that long. But your body is in shock major surgery and lack of food it will figure it out give it time. It has been 5 years for me now I lost 100 lbs took me 1 year hang in there . 

SW - 223  CW- 130 GW- 140  Start Sz 18 Current Sz 4 Ht. 5'6"
 BA- LBL/TT 11/3/09

Mike_1964
on 3/11/14 1:54 am

Thank you all for those great words of encouragement.  That is what I needed to hear, that it has happened to others around the same time period. 

I knew I picked the right forum to hang out in. 

michellebrad
on 3/11/14 5:42 am - Eastlake, OH

Mike I know how you feel.  I was a bit worried because I was like 6 days out from surgery and I GAINED 10lbs!  Now, I've been losing about a pound a day.  I've also promised myself that I will NOT weigh myself every day.  There are too many daily changes that our bodies go through, especially after surgery, and my weight can fluctuate daily.  So, I'm going to stick to once or twice a week.  So far, it's worked out well.  I know that sometimes we will have stalls in our weight loss, but if we're following our plans, we shouldn't worry!!!  :)  Keep doin' what you're doin' and it will work out!!!

Highest weight: 389   Weight at day of surgery: 370   Surgery Date: 2/19/14

Lpsmom
on 3/11/14 6:05 am

I had surgery a week ago and came home 11pounds heavier.  I'll just be happy to get back to pre-surgery weight! 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views