Having Surgery in May with Dr. Alejandro Lopez in Puerto Vallarta

mlopez77
on 3/13/14 6:37 am
VSG on 05/16/14 with

I finally scheduled my surgery and I am very nervous. I keep questioning whether or not I am making the right decision. I know in my heart that I am, but I am just so scared. I am scared of being in pain after the surgery, I am scared of flying from Mexico to Ohio after the surgery (I am staying in Mexico for an extra 3 days), I am scared to lose my hair, I am scared that I will become dehydrated, I am just scared. I know that the benefits outweigh the risks, but I am so nervous.

I have been overweight my entire life and I have just came to a point where I want to be healthy. I have tried weigh****chers, nutra system, I joined a gym class. I just can't lose weight. I have PCOS and it is making it difficult to lose weight. I have no energy. I want to enjoy my time with my kids while they are still at home. My oldest is graduating next year. They want to go to amusement parks and I don't take them because I can't fit in the rides. They want to go to water parks or swimming at the pool in our development and I am too embarrassed to go. Every time we go out to eat I am so worried that I won't fit in the booth. 

My mom died at the age of 52 from breast cancer. My grandma at the age of 53. I really want to be healthy. I want to live to see my children graduate college, get married and have a family of their own, I want to be around for my grandchildren. My doctor told me that I have to lose weight because it increases my chances of getting breast cancer and my chances are already high enough.

If anyone has had surgery with Dr. Alejandro Lopez I would love to hear from you.

If anyone is going to Puerto Vallarta at the same time I would love to get in touch.

Mandy Lopez

bigredlt
on 3/13/14 7:45 am - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 03/07/14 with

He just did my surgery on 3/7 in Tijuana.  I will post my Mexico story tomorrow when I get back to my laptop. He is very experienced, and he's wonderful.  My nerves were shot by the time I got to the OR, but I really had nothing to worry about! You'll be fine. Just follow the instructions, and don't cheat on anything, because you're only cheating yourself, and you could do damage.  Best of luck! If you have any questions, just let me know.

42 y/o, 5'7", HW 289, Start Weight 280. SW 264 on 3/7/14. Diagnosed w/IDC 5/16/14.

mlopez77
on 3/13/14 8:08 am
VSG on 05/16/14 with

I would love to hear your story. I am going through Mexico Bariatric Center. I have read some mixed reviews about that company. I have not had any problems thus far. My coordinator, Cindy, has been more than accommodating. I can be quite demanding and with my anxiety level being so high I am even worse. She has been really great. I have read that people were upset because the forms were in Spanish at the hospital. I never thought about it, but were your forms in Spanish? I am Mexican, but I do not speak Spanish fluently. My sister is coming with me and she speaks perfect Spanish, but I would still like to be able to read the forms. Is this something I should ask my coordinator about? How was your pain after the surgery? How was traveling home?

bigredlt
on 3/13/14 8:30 am - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 03/07/14 with
On March 13, 2014 at 3:08 PM Pacific Time, mlopez77 wrote:

I would love to hear your story. I am going through Mexico Bariatric Center. I have read some mixed reviews about that company. I have not had any problems thus far. My coordinator, Cindy, has been more than accommodating. I can be quite demanding and with my anxiety level being so high I am even worse. She has been really great. I have read that people were upset because the forms were in Spanish at the hospital. I never thought about it, but were your forms in Spanish? I am Mexican, but I do not speak Spanish fluently. My sister is coming with me and she speaks perfect Spanish, but I would still like to be able to read the forms. Is this something I should ask my coordinator about? How was your pain after the surgery? How was traveling home?

Forms were both Spanish&English. They kept on top of pain by giving meds every 4 hours. Non-narcotic. I didn't need pain pills after I got out of hospital. I called my airline & arranged wheelchair service at all airports on the flight home, which I'm glad I did. I was tired toward the end of my trip. My flight was 5.5 hours with one layover.

42 y/o, 5'7", HW 289, Start Weight 280. SW 264 on 3/7/14. Diagnosed w/IDC 5/16/14.

My2Babies
on 3/13/14 12:57 pm

I am planning my surgery in May also! I have been researching online and there are so many wt loss surgeons in Mexico!  It's so difficult to know who is the right choice. How/ why / what made you choose Dr. Lopez? 

mlopez77
on 3/13/14 2:26 pm
VSG on 05/16/14 with

I decided to go with Dr. Lopez because it was a great price and I have read nothing but great things about him and his wife.  I also like the fact that they practice at 3 locations in Mexico.  That means they are busy,  and that to me means experience.  I teetered between Dr. Lopez and Dr.  Alvarez.  I had a friend that was sleeved by Dr. Alvarez and she loves him and had a great experience.  I decided that from my research these 2 doctors both had great reviews and Dr. Dr. Lopez offered a great price and a great location.  I can't wait to relax in Puerto Vallarta. 

jodi049
on 3/13/14 2:46 pm
with

I had my surgery on 1/22 with Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta.  The hospital (amerimed) was cleaner than any hospital I've been in the US and I got better attention from the nurses as well.  It was great, Puerto was beautiful.  I had surgery on a Wednesday and left exactly a week later and flew home to Arkansas.  It was pretty easy...walking was slow, but I wasn't in much pain. I will say that sleeping in someplace other than my own bed was rough, but I'd still do it again.  They sent me home with a very mild pain reliever...I think it was as mild as Advil, but it definitely wasn't narcotic like they tend to give in the US.   I really didn't need anything stronger though.  The only thing I would recommend is to take something to help you sleep if you have a hard time getting comfortable in new beds. I would have given anything for just some NyQuil and trying to ask for that in Spanish was too confusing for me...hah!  I am sure you've read this, but walk walk walk.  I think that was want helped me the most.  I was up and walking pretty soon after I cam out of surgery.  I think it was only about 4 hours and I was up walking.

I walked about 2 miles the day after I got out of the hospital..lol.  But, I think it was a fluke, the rest of the days there I was so tired that I just wanted to rest.  I did lots of reading near the beach after that.

I am not sure where you're staying or what hospital, for that matter, but we stayed at the sunset plaza and it was wonderful.  I was able to find Popsicles easily as there is a pharmacy or convenience store every block there...haha.

Hope that helps!

Jodi

My2Babies
on 3/13/14 6:13 pm

Jodi~ What hospital were you at? 

jodi049
on 3/14/14 1:03 am
with

I was in Amerimed hospital.  It was beautiful and the rooms were huge.  It was more like hotel rooms.  2 tvs, 2 leather couches, mini fridge.

Jodi

mlopez77
on 3/14/14 1:14 am
VSG on 05/16/14 with

Thanks for sharing. I travel for work, so unfortunately I sleep in a new bed every few months. However, I am staying at the CasaMagna Marriott and the Marriott does not have the most comfortable beds and when you are not feeling well there is nothing like your own bed. The hotel looks nice from the pics (those can be deceiving sometimes). I absolutely hate taking narcotics, so I am fine with Advil. I had my gallbladder removed and they sent me home with oxycodone and I was sicker than a dog. I am so scared to vomit because that caused me worse pain than the actual pain from the surgery.

I am having my surgery at San Javier Hospital. It looks nice as well. I keep hearing how great the nursing care is. I can't even imagine seeing a doctor 3 times a day. Wow!!!

I can't believe you walked 2 miles the day after surgery!!! I too plan on relaxing by the beach :)

Do you think I should ask for a wheelchair at the airport, or were you ok to walk?

How are you doing now?

Are you able to get enough protein in? Enough fluids? 

Did you get sick at all after advancing your diet?

Mandy

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 79 views