I feel nothing.........

11Jenn11
on 3/17/14 3:10 pm

I'm not really feeling anything. if anything it feels like its not really happening. I'm turning 26 on April 12th and my insurance will end so my surgery is very last minute (VSG). I'm fortunate that my insurance came back with approval after just 2 days. I got all my pre op appointments completed in 30 days. everything's falling into place and yet it still doesn't feel real. Anyone else feel like this before surgery? I guess maybe when i start my liver shrinking diet on the 18th it will start to feel real maybe? Did anyone else go through this?

Whatever will be, will be

Dcgirl
on 3/18/14 1:36 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I felt a sense of calm and I knew it was going to go well :)  You should feel happy and excited - you are about to radically change your life for the better :)  I am ten years older than you and wish I had done it at 26!  Congratulations and good luck :)  And yes, once you do liquids for two weeks you will be aware of your upcoming surgery all day every day lol.  As your body detoxes from carbs and you fight hunger pains, you will have nothing else on your mind lol.  You will do great!

MAchick
on 3/18/14 1:42 am
VSG on 01/27/14
This is kinda how I felt. I think part of me was justwaiting for the other shoe to drop, Which it usually does for me lol. I was very calm leading up to the surgery, just a little stressed the day before. People kept asking if I was nervous, but I wasn't. I was very calm going to the hospital, waiting, I hooked around with the nurses and doctors. And then it was done! Even after I was good. Joking around and just happy. Some people go through a depressing feeling after too. I was expecting it, but it never came. Just enjoy the ride!

Lisa J.
on 3/18/14 6:02 am - OK

Hey Jenn!

It's good you're noticing your feelings!! Most people aren't lucky enough to have everything falling into place so consider yourself BLESSED by this chain of events.

The presurgery diet is a bit of a CRASH diet in my opinion. But stick with it, it will make a world of difference to your results and your mood before surgery. Note it all down now, because when you go back in 6 months and look at your journal you won't believe it. Do yourself a huge favor and measure all your parts: Stick it in a drawer and go look at it 6 months after.

I haven't been on this site for over a year (because my job changed and I didn't have much down time) but I can tell you that most of the men and women on this life-changing ledge are much older than you. YOU my dear, will have so much more time to love every minute of it!

There is so much emotional baggage and extreme feelings around this time. I was bound and determined to be the poster child. I told EVERYONE. Everyone in my office knew I was going to have WLS. When I had six 4-packs of protein drinks and six boxes of protein bars people gave me the double take....and I freely spilled my guts at the checkout, beaming all the way. (Sure, that old fat chick is dieting? Who is she kidding? Look at the size of her!! OMG yeah, right!).

I only lost 2 more lbs than I needed to lose by surgery day--but dang it felt good. I was a frequent flier at the Wal Mart pharmacy. There was a nice tech there that I saw every time I was picking up meds for me or mom. One day, when it wasn't quite as busy, he routinely asked for my ID....and did a double take and said WHAT THE HELL? This isn't you! I teased back and said "yeah, that was almost 100lbs ago" and he was floored.

If you have never been thin or felt like you were thin (or even average) this could work both ways for you. I'm not out to bash men but you will get hit on. As the inner you starts shedding her layers you might turn 180* from your usual demeanor. People who might have never "seen" you will start opening doors, smiling, nodding, chatting, and suddenly you are no longer invisible.

Men still want women. And the same guy that didn't want you last year WILL want you this year and believe me, they will say whatever they have to to try and get you. PLEASE guard yourself. Set your bar high. If the outside doesn't matter then the outside doesn't matter.

For me, I am an outgoing, loud, laughing old chick. I became a thinner outgoing, loud, laughing old chick in higher heels that didn't freak out if she dropped a $20 bill. I'd have to hope someone would get it for me. Now, I could bend over and get it AND do the splits. HA HA.  I didn't have to try and pull down my shirt to hide my ass with a too-big shirt. I wear a too-big shirt with an itsy bitsy tank top now underneath. Cuz it's stylish. And I can. I wear tight jeans cuz I can. I wear a short dress cuz I can. And I love it. I can sunbathe without feeling freakish. No, I'm not now or ever will be a bathing suit model. Who cares??

The bottom line is your 26 year old skin will have much more elasticity post surgery than most of us. You have a very realistic shot of it all coming back to you. Once you can start to exercise, please do! Even if it's bicycling or walking. You don't have to be a gym rat, but you can if you want to. Just get out and do it!

I ramble like crazy, but I gotta tell you that you are a very lucky girl to be able to get this done, and that it's available for you. There was a couple 60-somethings and a 70-something in my group support class....and they were still happy as hell to have had the option.

Grasp this roller coaster ride with both hands. You're gonna need it! LOL

Lisa

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/18/14 6:20 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I TOTALLY felt that! Up until I woke up in my hospital room, my feelings were along the lines of, "OK, I'm having this surgery so I can get off my BP meds and CPAP, but otherwise nothing's gonna be any different, OK whatever let's just get this whole thing over with." Totally numb, hadn't kicked in, didn't feel real, even though I'd done oodles of research and prep over 3 or 4 months.

Everybody processes things differently. Some people are jumping up and down, some people are terrified, some people are a little numb and indifferent. And that's OK! Hang in there, and you're always welcome to post here and we all help each other out :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active