drain or no drain?..

Kelly Jean
on 3/29/14 8:24 am, edited 3/29/14 9:26 am
VSG on 04/08/14

I hear that some doctors do the  drain for the vsg and some do not?..  Can some of you tell me what you think about both ways... I signed my consent paper and had my last meeting with my dr on thursday  and im all ready now for April 8th..   he informed me he uses the drain ..and in the past almost 3 years he has  never had  a leak...   My surgery is on Tuesday  the 8th and the following  monday 14th he removes it...    ok so wont it heal a bit around it and  how much will it hurt ...  any and all info would help...... Thank You!!!!

Kathy8429
on 3/29/14 9:12 am

I had 8 drains after having a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction. Then 8 more with the stage 2 reconstruction. Only 1 of the 16 hurt when removed and that was because it was red and swollen from a wound infection

Kelly Jean
on 3/29/14 9:27 am
VSG on 04/08/14

wow thats alot ...., 

KevinBacon
on 3/29/14 12:58 pm, edited 3/29/14 1:00 pm
VSG on 03/10/14

Wow that is a ton of drains! What an experience :( 

Okay so for me I didn't get drains initially but I ended up getting two the second time they went in. Drains are good. They pull fluids off of your incisions inside and allow them to heal faster if you think about it. 

As far as how it feels having them out, trust me when I say this, it's not bad. They are designed not to allow tissue to form around them so you don't need to worry about that aspect (I asked the same thing). My first drain was in for 5 days (I think?) and the second one was in for closer to two weeks (I think lol I'm useless!) The most uncomfortable part for me was feeling it inside me slithering through my organs when they were pulled out LOL that's right I said slithering. But aside from a pinching sensation as the skin around the entrance has to stretch slightly for the actual drain segment you really don't feel much.

Trust me. It's not bad! :)  

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

MAchick
on 3/29/14 2:11 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

I had a drain and didn't have any issues with it being in. I showed it to anyone who wanted to see it, and took pics to send my friends lol. I actually had some students in medical school come interview me and poke around. 

For me,  I hated it when they took it out. It hurt,  but only lasted a few seconds. It stopped being sore a little later. 

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/29/14 2:48 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Didn't have a drain with the VSG but have four now with the LBL and they come out tomorrow so I will let you know how it goes. I understand their utility but hate having these tubes and bottles hanging off me!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

mickeymantle
on 3/29/14 3:05 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I had a drain for my vsg but they took it out before I went home , it felt funny when they pulled it out

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Kelly Jean
on 3/29/14 11:06 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

ok great....Thank you all !!! I now have an idea ....I just wonder why some do and others.... idk  lol 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 280 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 333 views