band to sleeve

lianna
on 4/4/14 11:13 am - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

I am looking at having a revision.  I have been banded since 05.  What is different about the food, amounts, etc...?   I need to know if this is right for me.  I am tired of daily puking and sliming, even though I am on an empty band.  I want encouragement and tips if you are willing to share : )

Lianna   lapband 2005, removed 2014.  VSG 3/9/15

lianna
on 4/4/14 11:41 am - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

I must add.... I have gained back EVERY SINGLE POUND plus five.  I am heavier than pre-band, and miserable.

Lianna   lapband 2005, removed 2014.  VSG 3/9/15

Kimbaru
on 4/4/14 1:02 pm - WA

I gained all of my weight back plus 15 lbs.  I, too, had mine in '05.  10 months ago I got sleeved.  Goodbye puking and sliming, hello weight loss.  The sleeve is exactly what I thought that the band was going to be like.  One side effect that many or us have is that the top of our stomachs are still stretchy after we're sleeved - kind of like a pouch on top of the sleeve.  That makes it very important to measure out food, or not overeat your sleeve.  My pouch holds more than my sleeve, so I can overeat, if I'm not careful.  It's totally manageable, though.  Not everyone has this problem.  It hasn't slowed me down.  Good luck!

Kim

56sunShine14
on 4/5/14 12:08 am, edited 4/5/14 12:10 am

Hi Lianna,  I am right there with you and on the 16th, will know if this surgeon will do a revision and remove the band.  I regained all +20 and have lost the extra 20.  I have some fluid in my band but not enough to keep from regaining.  Altho I do have to take full responsibility for it, after a couple of years, I just gave up.  I was just tired of all the personal junk and having to put up with the band and it's antics too.  So, the weight regain IS mostly my fault.

I just want it out as it has been so much aggravation and I did not lose as I should have even though I followed the rules to a "T".  I am in a much better place with the family junk in that I am no longer allowing it to affect my life as it did for years. I know want a better, healthier life where I can be of normal size and weight and actually enjoy it.

You are not alone.

sassyscorpio
on 4/4/14 6:27 pm

I am 5 years out from my band to sleeve revision. Send me a pm and I will be glad to share.

Just know that the sleeve and band are no comparison. The sleeve works the way the band is supposed to work. I can eat anything I want. That is sometimes a problem.

band 12-29-06     revision  to sleeve  Alberto Aceves  4-29-09

I love my sleeve!!

Lost 107 lbs and maintaining

Posted Image

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/14 12:38 am
Revision on 01/07/14

I had my band in 2005 also and just revised in January.  My issue with the band was the level of aftercare and I had to have it unfilled due to severe reflux.  I kept about 60 pounds off and yo-yo'd from there.  I knew I would be doing that my whole  life and possibly gain it all back if I did not have a tool.  The first couple of months after revision were rough for me - the recovery was rougher than I thought it would be.  Just low energy and general yucky feeling.  At 3 months I feel normal and am enjoying the sleeve and am down just about 40 pounds.  The miracle for me has been the disappearance of sugar cravings.  I had a major sugar problem before and now I have zero desire for it.  I actively do not want it!  It is the weirdest thing.  I still have cravings for chips (my other problem pre-surgery) but it is not very strong at all.  I just see them and think 'that would be good" but then keep walking without any struggle. Such a nice change.

I definitely think you should talk to a surgeon - you should not be puking/sliming with an empty band.  

Sandy M.
on 4/5/14 12:52 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Like others have said, the sleeve is what the band advertised and didn't deliver.  The food, amounts, etc. don't change - if you have learned the protein first, no water with meals, etc. rules, you have a head start for the sleeve.  

The only thing that didn't change (for me) was the acid reflux I developed from the band - it's still with me.  But one daily Prilosec controls it nicely, so I'll take it!

Since discharge from the hospital (May 9, 2013), I have not vomited or slimed once - when I overdo it, I just feel really over full.

With the band, I went from size 18/20 to size 12, then back up to 16.  With the sleeve, I've gone from size 16 to size 6.  Keeping it off is definitely the hard bit for any surgery; since I can now eat pasta, bread, etc. that I couldn't with the band, I really have to be careful.  I'm now at the top end of a normal BMI, but still want to lose 10-15 pounds more to be in a safe zone.

Good luck in your journey~!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 90 views