4 weeks post-op-long post

Jennifer E.
on 4/13/14 4:41 am

I had my VSG on March 17, 2014.  Its been 4 weeks (Monday) and I am down 27 lbs since surgery, and down 35 lbs from when I first stepped foot in the surgeon's office in January.  Weight was coming off pretty quick after surgery but has slowed down since.  Sometimes I don't lose for days.  Some days I don't weigh because whether I weigh or not, I am still doing things as I should per my plan and I don't want the frustration of not losing. 

I drink two protein shakes a day.  Usually I have a ready made Pure Protein or Premier Protein at work, and later in the day I have one that I make out of powder and a scoop of PB2 which I have found is quite pleasant. I eat three meals a day, but not withing 30 minutes of drinking.  I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around 1-2 ounces being a meal.  I have been eating moist scrambled eggs, string cheese, chicken salad, egg salad with a drop of olive juice(yum), cottage cheese, yogurt, and fish.  For drinks I have been drinking one vitamin water zero or sobe life water, and then refilling the bottle with water when it's gone.  Between that and my protein shakes I am hitting both my protein needs and water needs each day.  I am tracking my calories using my "Lose it" app that I love.  I usually range between 500-600 calories a day.

Mentally, stepping on the scale each day probably isn't the best thing for me.  Right after surgery weight was falling off.  With it slowing, stopping, gaining some days, etc I find myself frustrated.  Don't get me wrong, I know in the big picture I am losing so I am not complaining about that.  I also use the weight trend app on my phone that shows on a graph how my weight is headed downward.  I like that. 

Something that's odd for me is that even though I am down 35 lbs(27 since surgery) I really struggle to see it and feel it yet.  I feel like with that much weight I should.  I went into surgery at 244 lbs and I am 217 now.  I am still wearing the same clothes.  This is how I tended to gain so easily in the past.  Maybe they were snug before and comfortable now, but still...the same clothes!  No one has really commented on a difference in me either, other than a few people said my face is thinner.  So I anxiously await that moment when I SEE it and FEEL my weight loss.  

Tantrums...  I am not 3 so luckily I have kept them inside :)   There have been a few times when I really wanted to have what others are having.  For the most part, in this stage of the game, I am eating very differently from my family and others I am around.  Sometimes I am fine with it, other times not so much.  We ordered pizza for my daughters Bday party yesterday.  It looked and smelled sooooo good.  I should also mention that I am one of these people who did NOT lose my cravings or appetite after surgery, even with my PPI.  I cant decide yet if that's a good or bad thing.  Another thing I have realized is that even though my stomach may get "full" after two ounces(totally different feeling-my new full feeling is more a fullness in my esophagus) my head is not yet satisfied with what I have eaten.  It does usually catch up after a while.  I take about 20 minutes to eat my 2oz and that's a struggle for me slow it down!

Anyone who would like to chime in with a comment, something that has helped you, or your experience, I greatly welcome it! 

Jennifer:  HW:  252     SW: 244.   CW:  168

Surgery Date:  3/17/14

Gwen M.
on 4/13/14 5:18 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You and I must have posted our updates at the same time :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

56sunShine14
on 4/13/14 6:25 am

Have you looked at your face, neck and wrists yet?  I lost there first and then my boobies.  I missed my boobies most because they help to hold down that stupid seatbelt that goes across the chest!  Now I have to hold it down with my hand so it doesn't choke me.

Gwen M.
on 4/13/14 6:34 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My wrists are so much smaller!  I wear a Nike Fuelband and it started out being well.. not tight, but snug.  Now I can easily slide a finger between my wrist and the Fuelband.  It's awesome :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Jennifer E.
on 4/13/14 8:53 am

I hope to see that soon!  Right now I look down at my hands and they still look like chubby sausages!   The onetime I got the weight off a while ago I do remember noticing a big difference in my hands and collarbone.  Can't wait!

GingerJen
on 4/13/14 7:24 am
VSG on 03/07/14

"totally different feeling-my new full feeling is more a fullness in my esophagus)" 

me too! I was wondering if I will ever feel that full/satisfied feeling again or just like food wants to escape my esophagus.  And it is so strange how little we eat! I had 1/4 of a small hamburger patty and it was too much. 

My weight stalled for 10 days right when I hit 4 weeks. I'm sure it was the 5th week stall. I wish I didn't weigh for a week after my month was up. 

People will notice soon. People notice on me after the 26 pounds but I think that is because I lost 30 in the 2.5 months below. I'm guessing that by the end of the 2nd month, u will notice a huge difference.  And I'm sure that if you tried on smaller clothes, you would notice a few sizes dropped!

great job!!

37 y/o female 5'8" HW 355 consult 329 SW (3/7/2014)301 CW 168 goal 170

M1- 26 M2- 14 M3- 15 M4 -13 M5 -16 M6-12 M7-2 M8-5 M9-6 M10-8 M11-1 M12-5  M13-10 Goal reached 4/5/15 total lost 187 lbs total; 133 in the 13 months since surgery

Jennifer E.
on 4/13/14 8:52 am

I am soooo glad you can relate! It makes me feel a bit better !  I was wondering if I was the only one with the esophagus fullness.

Atlanta_Forever
on 4/13/14 9:52 am
VSG on 03/17/14

Jennifer,

We share the same surgery date! I have lost 25 pounds(including 6 during my pre op liquid diet) and am starting to feel some extra room in my clothes. No one has noticed aside from my Husband and my Mother, but I think that's because I have quite a bit to lose.

I stalled for 10+ days, but finally dropped 2 pounds on Friday. I'm looking at that stall as a blip on my weightloss chart which will be almost unrecongizable after a year or more of tracking.

I am working hard to slow down while I eat my meals. It's a real challenge for me! 

Good luck....Spring will be great for us, new bodies and new attitudes!

Audrey

Jennifer E.
on 4/13/14 10:58 am

It's nice to "meet" you!!! I too am struggling to eat slower.  And I have also realized how much i love food and how happy it made me.  I can't wait to feel and see the weight loss to enjoy new things!  Do you get the same full feelingin your esophagus?  I stalled and gained and whatnot for a week or so too.  But you are right.  It's just a blip in the downward trend!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 255 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views