pain gallbladder surgery/help!

kelly_p
on 4/13/14 5:38 am

Hey everyone, I had my surgery about 3 years ago and have been getting wierd pain ever since. I was finally told that I need to get my gallbladder removed. I know a lot of people that get Weight loss surgery end up having to get their gallbladder removed  I was just wondering what was the experience like? Was it easier or more difficult that weight loss surgery? How was recovery? Did you have complications?. I would appreciate any information. Thanks for your help in advance.

gabby169kitty
on 4/13/14 6:07 am

I've not had my VSG yet, but I've had my gallbladder out. There is not as much maneuvering of "stuff" around in your abdomen and the gallbladder is smaller than the piece of stomach they take out during VSG. Less surgical trauma usually means less pain. I've had more abdominal pain after a really intense ab workout than I had with my gallbladder surgery.  If you had pain from the gas they pumped into your abdomen  during your VSG then you may have that again, since they also do that for this surgery.

Overall my gallbladder surgery was pretty easy to go through.

Surgery will be hopefully in October or November 2014, with Dr. Megan Gilmore

mustlovepoodles
on 4/13/14 8:53 am, edited 4/13/14 8:55 am
VSG on 12/31/13

I had my gallbladder out about a year before my VSG.  Honestly I'd say the gallbladder surgery was better. I had some discomfort the first 2 days and needed a narcotic about 3 times a day. On the third day I was strictly on Tylenol. I was back at work after the 4th day.  My VSG was much harder than my gallbladder surgery~!  With the VSG I spent a total of 5 days in the hospital due to some complications. With the gallbladder I was home within 8 hours and doing pretty well.

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

mkvand
on 4/13/14 11:21 am
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I've had both, and the pain was similar.  The major difference was I was much more tired after the VSG because of the low calories, but actual pain and recovery were the same. 

VSG 1/6/14 with Dr. Alvarez

Jiliana2
on 4/13/14 11:10 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I had my gallbladder removed years before I had the VSG. It was a day surgery... I went in that morning and went home that evening. No overnight stay required (as long as I didn't have complications).

It was easier than the VSG. My recovery was only one week off vs. four weeks off for VSG. I had the same discomfort from the gas, as it too is a laparoscopic surgery, so walking helped that immensely.

I was back at work one week later and I had three (or was it four?) tiny little scars from the cuts that were made.

Wishing you lots of luck and crossing fingers that your surgery goes really smoothly.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Lemily
on 4/13/14 11:35 pm
VSG on 01/16/14

Hey there, I had my gall bladder out about 2 years prior to VSG. That surgery was a piece of cake for me at least. I was in and out of the hospital in less than 4 hours. The only pain afterwards I experienced was from the gas that they put inside of you. That got trapped in my shoulder and no pain meds help to work that out. Day 2 i was fine. Sore but fine. You can't lift anything more than 15 pounds for about 2 weeks. VSG was slightly more difficult because you are also retraining yourself to eat, drink, etc. I had gall bladder on a thursday. If you are cleared to drive and have a desk job, and had surgery on thursday, you could go back to work on a monday, pending everything went ok and your doctor clears you.

Neesie57
on 8/14/15 8:43 am
VSG on 08/04/15

I had my gallbladder out more than twenty years ago and it was one of the easiest procedures I've ever had.  It was done six days before Christmas and by Christmas Day I had no discomfort whatsoever.  Much, much easier than my VSG.

Most Active