My NYC Trip!

Gwen M.
on 4/18/14 6:01 am
VSG on 03/13/14

R and I left for NYC bright and early on Tuesday morning! I had a shake in the car on the way to the Metro. P dropped us off at the station which made life easier. Then we Metro'd to Union Station in DC. Since we had time to kill, we got breakfast at an Einstein Bagel place and I found out that you can add two ounces of smoked salmon to a meal for a mere $3ish. So I added that to R's bagel breakfast and ate half. It was delicious.

Then we got on the Amtrak train to NYC's Penn Station. The weather was gross and disgusting, but the train was lovely and so much better than driving would have been! Once we arrived, we walked to our hotel and got settled into our very efficient and perfect room.

From there, we walked a lot. First we had lunch at Pax and I had a burrito bowl type thing with fajita chicken, guacamole, salsa, and black beans. We saw Bryant Park and the Library and Times Square, and lots of other things. Then we headed back to the hotel for a break before meeting up with G (R's brother) and LC (G's fiancee) at Fogo de Chao for dinner. Now.. this is not the best place for a newly sleeved person to go - all you can eat meat fest? Eek! But I got the salad bar only option and had a nice meal of smoked salmon, bacon, prosciutto, and some mozzarella ball. It was actually really tasty and I didn't feel uncomfortable at all with the normal eaters. I moved my water glass in front of R and had no problems there. I just ate slowly and focused on the conversation. I was worried I'd feel awkward, but really it was lovely! My first real restaurant meal was quite a success, even at Fogo! Go me!! Then we went back to G and LC's hotel to hang out and talk in the lobby before calling it a night. R and I walked back to our own hotel. More walking.

We slept in on Wednesday morning, I had a protein shake, and then met up with G and LC at Collichio and Sons. Our "fancy" meal of the trip. I had beef tartare and skate, both were delicious! Then we walked around Chelsea Market before taking the subway up to Central Park. Central Park is HUGE! We walked across the middle to see the Guggenheim, my favorite building ever, then we walked back through it a bit lower. Then we took the subway back to around our hotels and parted ways so they could shop more and we could rest up before the evening. We met up for dinner at Panera - I had the chicken salad in a bowl, no bread. We cabbed to the theater for Avenue Q which was amazingly awesome and I loved it. Everyone else did too! We were going to cab back, but we weren't able to hail one in a timely manner, so G and LC took the subway and R and I walked back to our hotel. I'm proud of myself for being able and willing to walk. :D This is so huge for me.

On Thursday we woke up early enough to have the free hotel breakfast. It wasn't exciting - they rarely are. I had some of a sausage patty and some scrambled eggs with cheese. Then it was back to the hotel room to pack and relax a bit until we met up with G and LC for lunch. The place near to the hotel that we had initially planned on was a no go due to construction sound outside, so we walked over to a Pret A Manger. I had a "slim" sandwich which is a half sandwich. It had bread, lettuce, balsamic chicken, and avocado. I just ate the chicken and avocado which was delicious. Then we walked over to Ripley's Believe It Or Not and walked through the exhibits. It was a crazy place. Lots of strange stuff. Afterward, we went to the Cold Stone across the street and I actually got ice cream! I had 4-5 bites of "Skinny Vanilla Ice Cream." Yum. I savored each bite. Then we walked through a kitschy NYC souvenir store before parting ways with G and LC. R and I walked back to our hotel, got our bags, and headed back to Penn Station for the return trip home.

The train ride home was uneventful, as was the metro ride once we got back to DC. We picked up dinner from Wawa once back in town and I got a cup of the most delicious tuna salad. Yum. I need to remember that they've got kick-ass tuna salad!

And that, in a nutshell, was my trip to NYC. Lots and lots of fun and lots of walking!

So today, Friday morning, I weighed myself. The scale said 259. I didn't believe it. I weighed again. 259. Third time, still 259. R got on the scale and it said what he expected it to. So the scale seems to be accurate. But how the hell did I lose 18 pounds in 60 hours? This is unfathomable. I don't even think it's possible. At all.

But the scale says what the scale says. Not only did I reach my second goal of 25% excess weight lost (271), but I reached my third goal of the weight on my drivers license (260). Unbelievable!!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Amber G.
on 4/18/14 1:09 pm
VSG on 04/02/14

So very cool!! Congrats on the loss!! I LOVE NYC! I can't wait to make another trip someday soon!

Gwen M.
on 4/19/14 7:03 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This is the first time I've been as an adult and it was a great trip!

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

gabby169kitty
on 4/18/14 1:16 pm

wooo hooo! Sounds like a successful trip.

Surgery will be hopefully in October or November 2014, with Dr. Megan Gilmore

Gwen M.
on 4/19/14 7:02 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Thanks!  It was pretty great. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views