Acid Reflux..What I learnt..

Loser2014
on 5/2/14 12:41 am, edited 5/2/14 12:54 am

5 years ago, my doctor put me on Prilosec once a day to control my Asthma symptoms. At that time, I did not have any acid reflux. Fast forward 3 years, I was determined to get off some meds and did a detox to make my allergies & Asthma better. Getting off Prilosec was the hardest. Here is what I learnt then:

- There is a condition called Rebound Reflux which is caused when you try to leave PPI inhibtors. I DID NOT have any acid reflux when I was put on Prilosec but got severe reflux when I tried to leave it. I was miserable to a few weeks but detemined. What helped me in those days was reseaching ways to naturally treat reflux, like oatmeal, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, eating small meals and chewing gum after dinner. With all of that I was able to manage my reflux without medication for most part. There were times when I needed tums but only a few times a month. Nothing major.

So think about that when you try to leave PPI drugs post surgery. You will most probably experience rebound reflux.  

Fast forward again, to my recent changes in diet and drinking protein shakes, I wa**** with bad reflux once again. I did some more research and found something very interesting on a blog:

- Making protein shakes in high speed blenders causes the bubbles to form in the shake. All those bubbles can potentially cause reflux. :wacko: I was willing to test that theory. I continued to make my shakes in my Vitamix but made the shake at least an hour before. I found that a full glass fresh out of the blender was always reduced to 2/3 of a glass in that hour. So, 1/3rd was just bubbles. That helped my reflux right away. I also stopped over-blending. Just blended long enough for everything to mix and then put it in a blender bottle. That helped too! I have had to take Prilosec again a couple of times in the last 2 weeks but that's okay. I know I may need it after the surgery and I am ready!

Hope this post helps someone! Have a good day

56sunShine14
on 5/2/14 12:51 am

That is pretty interesting.  Thanks for posting it.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views