Pre-op Diet Question..Why only Bariatic Advantage?

Loser2014
on 5/5/14 3:16 am

My surgery is on May 9th. My doctor allows me Bariatic Advantage shakes 4-5 times a day with fruits blended in, sugarfree Popsicles & Jello.

I had to pick up 2 big packets of Bariatic Advantage from the office for my pre-op diet which I did.

I was able to follow the diet for 4-5 days but then started hating the taste of Vanilla & Chocolate BA. Since then, I have still followed all the rules but changed a couple of things:

- Changed BA to GNC unflavored. The nutrition is the same. If anything, GNC is lower on calories and carb.

- Also have one Unjury Chicken Flavored soup a day.

Other than that I have followed all the rules and lost 13 lbs. :)

This morning, I got a call from my doc's office to confirm that I was following my BA diet. I told them I was. But now I feel like I lied.

The thing is that if I had continued the BA, I would not have been able to continue just because I hated the taste and felt like throwing up!

Now the questions: Why is my doc office insisting that I use Bariatic Advantage? Did anyone else have that experience? Did I make a mistake by substituting? Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

EmmyK
on 5/5/14 3:23 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

I feel that you followed the nutritional guidelines and got the protein IN you with their desired result.  You wouldn't have done it with the BA because it was making you miserable.

In your shoes, I would have said the same thing.  You weren't drinking chocolate milkshakes with ice cream.  You found another option that met the requirements and is more palatable.  However, the office might consider this you being "non-compliant," so tread lightly.

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/14 3:24 am

No.  There is no specific reason at all.  The point of the pre-op diet is only to lose weight so that you shrink your liver and it doesn't need to moved as much during surgery.  My doctor told me I didn't even need to do this as I was a lightweight. I did it anyway, to get my head in the game.  There was never a specific requirement that a particular shake should be used.  I really like the GNC protein shakes myself...of course my doctor would never agree to me blending fruit in...but that's another story.  The only requirement that is really important, is the clear liquids right before surgery (like the last 24 hours or so).  You are fine, enjoy your shakes and don't worry about it.  

emelar
on 5/5/14 3:29 am - TX

I assume they have a relationship with Bariatric Advantage and they get money back for using the product.  If you've substituted with similar products, I don't see a problem.  There's no particular magic about Bariatric Advantage.

themexcellentone
on 5/5/14 11:29 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Yep.  This is it.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Nancybefree
on 5/5/14 4:06 am
VSG on 11/21/12 with

One thing I know off the top of my head is that BA contains a decent amount of fiber, whereas other protein powders have less or no fiber.  It also provides a significant amount of protein per serving.

I'm with ya on not liking BA.  Never, ever again will I purchase their stuff. 

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

changestocome
on 5/5/14 4:24 am

Sounds like your doctors office might get a little kickback from pushing BA.

Surgery Date: April 24, 2014 HW: 276 CW: 226 - 2 months out 50lbs down    

Lemily
on 5/5/14 4:39 am
VSG on 01/16/14

My office pushed the Unjury and actually sold it in their office. the Unjury made me want to throw up. They did give me alternatives on a list, which I happily picked something else. Bariatric Advantage may just be what your nutritionist is most comfortable with and can generalize among all of their patients. You can 100% question them on their choice. Afterall its your process too! And, it's not like you are cheating on the diet. You are just using one protein shake in the place of the other, but still following plan right? I would just keep to the same nutritional guidelines that are in the bariatric advantage in anything you pick.

tgr1025
on 5/5/14 4:46 am

My surgeon only allowed Bariatric Advantage. The last 2 days before surgery I didn't even drink them. I ate low calorie food. I could not even take a scoop out of the container without gagging! Now after surgery I am struggling with getting my protein in and the Bariatric Advantage is all I have on hand and I can't drink it. I am heading to the city on Wednesday and hopefully going to find something better at GNC. 

MissNexxie
on 5/5/14 5:01 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I was on Ensure 5x per day plus clear liquids and was told it was because they needed to be sure of the amount of nutrients and calories I was getting. They did not want me taking in too few calories even if I met the protein needs. I had Syntrax Nectar and Unjury chicken ready to go but they told me to wait until after surgery.

Maybe its something like that?

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Most Active
Recent Topics