When people call you "skinny"

senelrad
on 5/7/14 2:30 am

Taking compliments is something I have a hard time.....but I'm working on it. Although I seem to take them better from strangers and co-workers than from family members. Again I'm working on that! My husband and step daughter are constantly saying "OK, you can stop now" or "your are getting to skinny", I usually answer my saying, " since when is (whatever wt I am) too skinny"!

You are doing a great job!

NewNatinIl
on 5/7/14 2:50 am

I threw a baby shower just over a week ago.  I saw family that I hadn't seen in over a year.  Someone said "look at you skinny."  I was like huh?  I am currently in a 10/12 jean (depending on the cut), weighing 195.  I almost fell over. I was like thanks and almost added (but didn't as I was trying to just take in the compliment) "my goal is to lose another 30 ish pounds." 

It was great to get the compliments...but on the same hand I have this "but I need to  x, y, z" and just totally diminish the compliment.  It is hard to just say thanks and feel good about it.  

It's hard, because part of me thinks "i look great to others, I don't need to lose more," another part says "you are still a big ole fatty" and another part says "just another 30 to your goal, wohoo."  It is definitely hard to moderate the thoughts.

Other than that...no one ha**** on me, but I have noticed people more people say hello and/or smile.  

themexcellentone
on 5/7/14 2:28 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

I feel ya.  I get the "skinny" comment a lot now, even though I still have 60ish pounds left to get to my goal.  I can't help but follow the comments with "I still have a ways to go."

The doc that leads our weekly support group says it takes a little over a year post-op for the brain to catch up with what the body looks like.  In my head I still weigh 438 pounds and still look like it too, even though my scale says otherwise.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

trinoc
on 5/7/14 5:22 pm - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

I think that whoever said it's how unused we all, as a neation, are to what a healthy weight looks like.  I see high school girls and honestly can't believe how much bigger they are, on average, than when I was a kid.  I mean, honestly, if I had gone to school now instead of then I'd never have felt fat a day in my high school career.  So yeah, healthy now looks too skinny.  And we, as a group, need to fix that!  :-) 

When people offer me compliments my pat answer is, "Thanks, I feel GREAT and feeling better every day."  Meaning...I'm going to keep going so we don't need to talk about when I'm stopping.  So far, it works.  Of course, I've not been accused of being skinny yet.  haha

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 156 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 429 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 447 views