When people call you "skinny"

MAchick
on 5/6/14 1:22 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

I've always been overweight. Since I was a kid. So it's very weird that people are all of a sudden calling me "skinny". Now, I'm still 190lbs and wearing size 14 (almost 12), but I'm a lot smaller than I was. I saw my fiance's family the other night and they are blown away each time they see me. Even my mom that I see every week calls me skinny. My knee-jerk rreaction is to say something like,  ***** please. .. Tonight,  my SIL offered me her coat and I looked at her like she was nuts. Yes I'm not as small as her,  but I realized that other people see me for the size I ACTUALLY am and not the size I feel I am in my head. 

Why yes, I know I've lost 65 lbs but I still refer to myself as the fat chick and look at plus size clothing in the stores. I guess I'm just waiting for my head to catch up with my body. 

And I'm rambling a bit,  but this has all been on my mind because I'm getting a lot of attention and it's strange. No men have hit on me yet,  still waiting!  Though I'm sure my betrothed wouldn't be so thrilled lol.

Tracy D.
on 5/7/14 12:00 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm still working on how to be gracious and accepting when people say things like this...because they really do believe they are giving you a compliment.   But I've had one too many people lately say "you keep losing, you're wasting away, when are you going to stop?" and I tell them that I can't believe they're saying that since I haven't lost a pound since Christmas and in fact I've gained about 4 pounds since then. That shuts them up - lol!  

Then I mention that I think people are just starting to notice since I got the short haircut, I'm wearing clothes that fit, etc.  And the light bulb goes on for them a bit then.  But it's hard not to be a little *****y about it and say, "Oh come on people!  This is what 138 lbs. looks like on a chick who is only 5'3".  Be real!"     

Honest to god, I think we Americans have just gotten used to everyone being overweight that we don't recognize what "normal" weight is!!

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

MAchick
on 5/7/14 12:41 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I think that's a huge part of it. I broke 200lbs and a few people asked how much more I wanted to lose.  I said I had about 45-50 lbs to go to get down to 150-155lbs and people look horrified. Really?  155 lbs is a NORMAL weight. People are just used to seeing me at 250+.

My favorite is when people argue about me getting too thin and they have no clue about my personal nutrition or health. 

jlovetro
on 5/7/14 1:31 am

Same here.  I get that look to  like if you  lose  anymore you will  be to  thin.. I know what weight I am comfortable at

Scott S.
on 5/7/14 12:07 am - TX

The attention is pretty interesting.  Makes me wonder if that is the norm for people who never struggled with WL.

I had a chance to go into a bar where I was bringing up the average age by a few years.  I still felt like that guy that I was 100lbs ago.  It was an interesting experiment, but shows I have a long way to go.

There was an interesting observation at a place I shop for clothes.  There was an older gentleman, maybe 57-60.  He saw me 100 lbs ago and knows I have been dropping weight.  He looked at me and said I look great.  Than he proceeded to tell me that the secret to looking good was not to change your attitude with the new found attention and to make sure my wife felt as secure as she did the day I met her.

That's all he said, but there was a real lesson in that for me.  

The new attention is interesting, but I am not changing how I treat people.  I have needed to become better at taking compliments about my weight.  But I have been very careful to take it in stride.

Don't worry about men hitting on you... worry when they won't stop some day!

Congrats on your loss and thanks for sharing!

VSG: 8/8/13 

MAchick
on 5/7/14 12:45 am
VSG on 01/27/14

That's a great piece of advice from that man.  Thanks for passing it on.

And I'm actually ok without the attention from other men. I don't think I'd know what to do. As long as I'm getting it from my man,  I'm good! 

VPrincess228
on 5/7/14 1:18 am
VSG on 02/03/14

I'm right there with you!  Basically same stats as you and family members are calling me skinny haha. But I'm in size 16 (almost 14) and people are telling me to stop losing weight.  What?!?!?  I have like 50 pounds to go...  I'm still trying to get used to saying "Thank you" when people compliment me instead of "OMG shut up, you are crazy, stop it..." etc.  It's def a crazy ride we are on!  I can't imagine what it will be like 10-20-50 pounds from now!  I just hope my head catches up soon, bc the looks on peoples faces when they compliment me and I start laughing like a crazy person is pretty priceless... 

LAURA 28 years old  Height: 5' 6 1/2"  HW: 265  SW: 237  CW: 184

M1 -18  M2 -13  M3 -12  M4 -8

MAchick
on 5/7/14 2:16 am
VSG on 01/27/14

Wow,  Yes our stats are pretty similar!  I'm just under 5'6 and my start weight was 255.8. We're doing great!  LOL

56sunShine14
on 5/7/14 2:27 am

Anticipation.......   can't wait!!

musiqsoulchild
on 5/7/14 2:29 am

OMG I love your post its to funny because my coworker tiff says he same thing to me and I look at her and I'm like do I look like a size 4 already because when I went shopping for cloths I'm still in the L-XL  cloths. I'm 190 now too so still above the "healthy" BMI for my height. I think you hit the nail on the head other people can see us differently than we see ourselves... we are our own harshest critics. The people who are in our inner circles like to try to be encouraging like "I see what you are doing and its great, keep it up." Good for you girl your in onederland! 

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 245 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 313 views