Heart palpitations while eating??

Twinsinsept.
on 5/11/14 10:42 am
VSG on 05/06/14

I'm 5 days postop and tonight was my first official sit down with other people type meal. I had a few sips of broth, sugar free jello and a few sips of a protein shake. Out of the blue my heart started beating HARD and seemed to skip beats. It freaked me out. Not long after I had some minor diahrea (sp?). 

Any experiences with this?  Did I drink too fast?  I'm stumped. It all subsided and now  just physically exhausted. 

1 week check up tomorrow. 

Thanks, Renee

HW: 345. CW 272

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/14 10:45 am - Canada

I think if it's just a one time occurrence its probably nothing. It could be anything from anxiety to what you ate or how you ate it.  Talk to your doctor, he'll listen to your chest and have some advice.

Have a good nights rest!

Curly2014
on 5/11/14 11:02 am

I have had palpitations and they thought it was electrolytes were off.  The NP told me to drink Powerade Zero to replace electrolytes and the palpitations have stopped.  That is all I drink now!  Be sure to mention at your appt.     

I am two weeks post op.  Good luck!

Curly2014

Twinsinsept.
on 5/11/14 11:28 am
VSG on 05/06/14

Hmmm. Now that you mention potassium and electrolytes, I do remember the dr saying after surgery that my labs showed I had low potassium and low magnesium and I was given supplements while in the hospital. I wasn't given anything to continue at home. 

I do take a diuretic, so I'm wondering if my potassium is still low. Thankfully I have my primary care follow up tomorrow as well as my surgeon follow up. 

Thanks!!

HW: 345. CW 272

EmmyK
on 5/11/14 3:34 pm - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

Are you allowed to put some fruit your shake?  Like a banana?

If you are at all concerned, go get it checked out, especially with the low potassium and diuretics...

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

Annievvho
on 5/11/14 1:50 pm, edited 5/11/14 1:51 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

My heart pounded and my blood pressure spiked really bad when I would drink anything for the first week or two, but almost all of my pain was internal, and my symptoms were due to pain that first little period of time. I've also experienced similar feelings as I progressed through food stages at the beginning of each new phase and when I eat too fast (don't chew enough), which is my weakest point in eating - I still struggle with slowing down the process.

Sandy M.
on 5/12/14 12:30 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Dehydration is a typical cause (according to my PCP).  Also hormones, which docs don't ever seem to consider.  When I was in perimenopause, I had those symptoms for a couple of years.  They finally stopped until I started taking hormone replacements - this time they only went on for about 3 weeks.  

Keep hydrated, and ask your doc about the diuretic.  Mine caused my blood pressure to plummet after surgery and so they took me off of it.

I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Mell
on 5/12/14 1:10 am

I have a band so I am a bit different but I know when I over eat or eat too fast (I know you had just sips) my stomach kind of spasms and it feels like heart palpitations, and then I get nervous and my heart rate rises. May you are the same as me?

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 100 views