I need help....can't eat.

luvbskts
on 5/12/14 1:17 am

I'm almost 5 months out and for the last week or so I can't eat.  Everything, except scallops or lobster, makes me want to throw-up.  Fluid intake is down too.  I don't know how to verbalize what I'm going through.  I don't know if it's all in my head and making physically sick or if I'm really struggling.  From day 1, well not really day 1 but you know what I mean, I have struggled with chicken, most beef, and deli meat.  I do well with ham salad, tuna salad, eggs, and all kinds of seafood.  Last night, after not being able to eat dinner, I came home and made a scrambled egg with milk and a little cheddar.  I got 2 bites in before giving it to the dog.  I'm also having bathroom issues...both 1 & 2.  I'm only peeing a few times a day and the other is once a week.  I'm losing my hair by the handfuls.

Please help me!

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/14 1:21 am

I think that this is serious enough to call your doctor.  We can't know if this is just in your head or if you have a stricture and need medical attention.  Get yourself checked out first, if it is just in your head, I have ideas, but I don't want to go there unless you have been seen by a doctor first.  Call them today. Meanwhile, make sure you are drinking or you will end up dehydrated and in a hospital bed.

happyteacher
on 5/12/14 2:29 am

I would call your doc.  In the meantime find a way to get your fluids in at the very least, and hopefully you can tolerate protein shakes so you can get both fluid and protein.  Get your vitamins in too.  Good luck and keep us posted. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

shopaholic2014
on 5/12/14 2:32 am

I was just logging on to post about the same thing! I'm 7 weeks post-op and more than 2 bites of anything makes me nauseated.  I know there's no way I'm getting enough protein, and not enough water either, although I'm doing better with fluids than solids. I have not been able to tolerate protein shakes since surgery; I've tried multiple times. I don't necessarily want to call the dr, though, as I'm afraid he'll suggest a stretch and I feel like that would be bad this early on. My hair has started to fall out, too, despite all the vitamins. Usually I see this starting at around 3 months post-op so I assume it's due to the low protein intake : (  Bathroom issues are the same for me, too!

Hislady
on 5/12/14 3:40 am - Vancouver, WA

Shopaholic  you can deveope a stricture at any stage so please see your doc. They know how to deal with it no matter what stage and the sooner it is fixed the better off you are. Same thing to the other poster.

AngloAm
on 5/12/14 3:50 am

If he suggests a stretch, maybe because a stretch would be a good idea...certainly you should contact your doc if this isn't normal. I intend to be a huge PITA to my doc should I feel anything's gone awry.

SLEEVED 21 May 14 with Dr. B. Greene. Max weight 470 lifetime; 395 pre-op; goal weight 190. Current weight 217; 178 lost so far, 27 to go and keep off.

Amber G.
on 5/12/14 3:54 am
VSG on 04/02/14

I agree with everyone above that said to call the Dr. It is WAY better to be safe, then sorry. I will be 6 weeks out on Wens, and was in the ER for dehydration and bad UTI a week ago. I felt the same way, as far as the fluids and food. I just had no appetite and felt semi nauseous. But when Monday came, it got real bad. Extreme nausea, shivers, 102 fever, not peeing much/dark urine, ached all over. My Dr did ask me to go back to the ER a second time and get a CT Scan, just to be safe. I never thought dehydration/UTI could make one feel so horrible! So you just never know, and it should def be checked out. Also, the #2 thing this week has been HELL since the dehydration issues. Was taking a stool softener every other day prior, and was fine. Its been beyond hard to deal with this week. Hoping you feel better soon! 

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/14 4:10 am - Canada

It sounds to me like you are dehydrated.  Focus on liquids even if it means going back to all liquids for a few days.  Alternatively you can go in to ER for IV therapy.  Everything you describe sounds exactly how I get when I'm dehydrated.

Call your surgeon or doctor and explain your symptoms.  They may be able to get you in to ER quicker and while your their they can run a few tests to rule out anything more. I go through this  a lot ;)

megan.sherman
on 5/12/14 4:11 am
VSG on 05/17/14

I learned the hard way to get medical advice/attention when you feel something isn't right.  I suffered needlessly for days with severe cramps and diarrhea when all I needed to do was call the surgeon to point me in the right direction.  Please, call your doctor.

AngloAm
on 5/12/14 4:17 am

Is there no phone service where you are? Why haven't you called your doctor's office? If it were somebody you cared about going through that, wouldn't you tell them to get it seen to?

SLEEVED 21 May 14 with Dr. B. Greene. Max weight 470 lifetime; 395 pre-op; goal weight 190. Current weight 217; 178 lost so far, 27 to go and keep off.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views