dehydration and excercise

lessofme123
on 5/16/14 1:17 pm

I am scheduled for surgery June 4 and am getting nervous about it. About five years ago I took up bicycling to try to lose weight. At one point I was cycling about 80 miles a week. I even did some week long group rides in the summers. I did lose some weight but not that much. I have slacked off on riding because I am back in school working on a masters degree and so I have gained back all that I lost. I really love to ride but because I am heavy I was always the slowest one on group rides. I felt bad that I was always the one that people had to wait up for. I am hoping that after I have surgery I will be able to get back to riding again. I am worried though about being able to stay hydrated on long rides and also being able to eat enough to fuel my body while on very long rides. Is there anyone else who bikes long distances after having had wls? Will hydration and fuel be an issue, or am I just worrying for nothing?

Stacy_WLS
on 5/17/14 2:10 am

I don't bike long distances, but I run semi long distances.  After about 6 weeks I was able to drink very easily -- chug even.  I think as long as you have enough water on the ride you shouldn't have any issue getting it down.  It is also surprising how much less additional fuel we actually need.  If you bring a banana on a long ride that would probably be enough.  I work out often for 2 hours and do not need to fuel up during the workout -- I eat something 30 minutes before and again within 30 minutes after.

Good luck -- you will see your capabilities increase very quickly.  It is amazing :)

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

pineview01
on 5/17/14 2:17 am - Davison, MI

Get one of those ves****er bottle things.  My DD rode across several states and you just sip along as you go.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views