long term nutrition effects

lessofme123
on 5/16/14 1:26 pm

One more question for tonight. Another of my fears is the long term repercussions of wls. The sleeve hasn't been around that long. How can i know how having surgery will affect me 10, 20, or 30 years from now? Will I be able to get enough vitamins? Will my bones become brittle and break easily after so many years of eating such small portions? I'm sorry if my questions sound silly, but they are things that are going through my mind right now. Thank you for your patience!

pineview01
on 5/17/14 2:30 am - Davison, MI

Actually the surgery has been around a long time as the first part of the DS.  The insurance companies have just chosen to not acknowledge that data.  It has also been around for a very long time for cancer and ulcer patients. The sleeve doesn't have the nutritional deficiency problems of the RNY and DS as it isn't mal-absorptive.

You do need to take good multi vitamins, calcium +D.  Some people may need more based on labs.  Many people with out WLS have as many or more issues.  Just because you eat more doesn't mean you eat right.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Stacy_WLS
on 5/17/14 3:30 am

I agree with pine view.  I honestly think I am getting more nutrition from the limited amount of food I eat now compared. T. The massive quantities of junk I used to eat.  Since we do not have the malabsorption I do not think this will be a big issue. 

We do need to make sure we get enough b12 as our bodies can't produce that anymore ( at least that is what I understand)

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Mary Gee
on 5/17/14 5:14 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Think of the medical problems you would have if you continued a life of morbid obesity.  I can tell you what obesity did to me:  high blood pressure, congestive heart failure, neuropathy, tendonitis, arthritis, and more.  Brittle bones can happen to anyone - obese of not.  I'd rather live life at a normal weight - active and enjoying life, than sitting in a recliner, holding on to my cane.  Haven't you been prescribed vitamins and supplements by your surgeon?  Believe me, your life will be healthier having WLS!!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

happyteacher
on 5/17/14 7:44 am

Also, we have labs pulled every so often to check levels.  My levels are usually better now then they were prior to surgery. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views