Apple Cider Vinegar and Acid Reflux

Robert H.
on 5/19/14 10:55 am - St. Albert, AB, Canada
VSG on 11/26/13

My acid reflux seems to be getting worse every week.  I am currently taking protonix twice a day, my surgery was last November so I am just shy of 6 months post VSG.  Has anyone ever tried using Apple Cider Vinegar to control the acid reflux and if so did it work?  There seems to be a lot of positive testimonials on various internet sites about the it's use and success.    Does a revision to the RNY guarantee that the acid reflux is gone?

KathyA999
on 5/19/14 12:05 pm

You can try the apple cider vinegar and see if it helps.  However, you may need to try another PPI.  Supposedly they're all the same, but I went thru four before finding one that seems to be working long-term - one over the counter and three Rx.  In my case it's protonix, but something else might work for you.  They would work nicely for 2-3 months, then the acid would come back. 

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

skeller
on 5/19/14 12:07 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 05/01/14 with

I would check with your doctor about this. As the poster before me mentioned, there are lots of acid-reducers out there, and they all seem to work differently for different people. Hopefully you and your doctor will be able to come with one that is more effective than protonix.

DOB 1958, HT 5'4" . . . HW 310, SW 281, CW 184.3

M1 -25, M2 -7, M3 -11.9, M4 -7.6, M5 -11.8, M6 -9.6, M7 -1.7, M8 -10, M9 -5, M10 -5

FindingMyWeigh
on 5/19/14 3:05 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

Totally works. I use 1 Tbs organic apple cider vinegar with the mother ( I use Braggs) in it to 1 Tbs of organic apple juice. Make sure it's organic!  I don't really understand HOW it works, but it does.  I have my acid under control because I'm on prilosec so I haven't used it in awhile..but when I did use it..it stopped a gall bladder attack dead in it's tracks and reflux.  My surgeon was a tad skeptical but said it wouldn't cause any issues if I did use it.  

Colleen 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 100 views