Whoo Hoo 5 days post op.

time2shne
on 5/20/14 1:31 am
VSG on 05/15/14

Today is my 5th day post up and for the most part I am doing really good .Still trying to fight the cold I got the day before surgery but doing much better .I am now able to eat a whole cup of jello ,2 Popsicles and 4 oz of broth a day .Still struggling with the water but at 30 oz and have not been dehydrated .Was very fortunate not to get any of the gas pain , I took gas x strips begining right after surgery .I have my week follow up tomorrow and that will be my first time seeing my weight since surgery.I am overally excited though that my feet have not been swollen..Looking forward to my journey ahead ..

BadaBing
on 5/20/14 1:32 am - NJ

Congratulations! Wishing you all the best! ~Gabby~

Mary Gee
on 5/20/14 1:44 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I'm six days post-op.  No problems at all, except some soreness.

Are you drinking any protein drinks or meal replacement drinks in addition to what you listed in your post?  My three week post-op diet includes all the things you list, plus 60 grams of protein per day.  They instructed me to drink sugar-free Carnation Instant Breakfasts (4 a day, broken down into eight drinks).  What you listed doesn't include any protein.  Are you scheduled to move on to pureed food at your follow-up visit?  It's amazing how different the food plans are among surgeons.

Good luck on your continuing journey!  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

time2shne
on 5/20/14 1:52 am
VSG on 05/15/14

My surgeon does not recommend any protein shakes .I wish he did I love instant breakfasts .Tomorrow is my follow up and I think they will be changing me from the clear liquids Surprisingly though even with just the clear liquid my body is still doing everything it's suppose to! (lol)

Lisa J.
on 5/20/14 4:37 am - OK

Your surgeon doesn't recommend protein drinks...wait, what? Is he nuts? Sorry, but that just seems counterproductive for any of these surgeries to get the most out of it.

Speaking of which, today I tried a scoop of vanilla protein in a cup of coffee and stuck it in the blender for a moment, and it wasn't bad! I think with some SF coffee flavoring it could be my next favorite thing.

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
civilmomma
on 5/20/14 5:57 am
VSG on 03/07/14
On May 20, 2014 at 11:37 AM Pacific Time, Lisa J. wrote:

Your surgeon doesn't recommend protein drinks...wait, what? Is he nuts? Sorry, but that just seems counterproductive for any of these surgeries to get the most out of it.

Speaking of which, today I tried a scoop of vanilla protein in a cup of coffee and stuck it in the blender for a moment, and it wasn't bad! I think with some SF coffee flavoring it could be my next favorite thing.

My week 1 Post-Op was CLEAR liquids only.  Starting the 2nd week I moved to full liquids including protein drinks.

I had surgery at a center of excellence.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Lisa J.
on 5/20/14 6:12 am - OK

There is a poster, a very knowledgable poster on this forum who has done some research on the "COE" status. Not as 'excellent' as we'd think, apparently. Anyway that's not the topic.

I simply meant that I've never heard of a WLS surgeon not recommending protein drinks--although you did point out you are still on CLEAR liquids, which is a big difference between not recommending them at all vs recommending them now. Whew! LOL. That sounds so much better.

I get scared for people who continually have this surgery and post here that insist they have NO clue as time frame, food schedule, food list, etc from their surgeons! It's like "Hey, yes you're overweight. Sign this, show up for anesthesia and we'll take care of it. Bye Bye". You know what  I mean? I'm glad you have better instructions than a lot of people.

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
pineview01
on 5/20/14 6:20 am - Davison, MI

I understood from ours Nutrition was part of the program.  Must not be so.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

pineview01
on 5/20/14 6:17 am, edited 5/20/14 6:20 am - Davison, MI

I can't believe they don't recommend protein as it is essential to heal after surgery.  I wonder how they got to be a COE with out the basics of a protein diet?  I will be asking at my center as I was sure that was part of the requirements.  Do they have a NUT at your center you can talk too.  Is there a chance you missed something. Protein is a major thing..for ALL surgeries.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

time2shne
on 5/20/14 8:42 am, edited 5/20/14 8:43 am
VSG on 05/15/14

My surgery was at a coe my surgeon is ranked within the top 100 in the nation he is a excellent surgeon .I asked the nutritonist  that came in before my discharge about the shakes and she said they don't recommend the shakes that I will get enough from the food I eat .I am 5'1 surgery weight 230 per my md and online sources my protein intake should be around 50 grams a day .Tomorrow is my follow up and I am going to go over everything again .

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 264 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views