Marriage Problems after weight loss

denisedufrene
on 5/26/14 1:26 pm - Oak Hills, CA
VSG on 04/04/13

I am 13 months post op and doing very well...I have lost 115 lbs. to date with 20 more to go to reach my goal...I am full of life, enegery and a sense of accoplishment...unfortunley my husband is not so happynow.. hes proud and has been very supportive thru the process but now that its almost done and I feel and look wonderful...he is struggling with that...idk what the deal is other than he feels threated now...i have told him numberous times and reassured him I only want to be with him...we have been married for 20 years...This could be the only downside to weight loss...Idk know should this be my problem to deal with or his...i know we need to do this togethter but he shows no interest...any advice is appreciated...

HW: 287     SW:  285     CW:  176     GW:  150

pugmadkate
on 5/26/14 1:40 pm

Get into couples counseling ASAP.  Why continue to be unhappy when you can work together towards a better future?

mollz007
on 5/26/14 1:50 pm
VSG on 02/20/14

No advice here, but I have heard that is common. Couples counseling is a geat idea. Is he overweight? Mine is, and I think my weight loss is making him feel insecure. All I can do is try to guve him advuce without pushing him in any direction. He has diabetes so I know he would be a good candidate for the surgery. I'm just trying to help him figure out what he wants to do. But I hope couples counseling helps! Dealing with insecurities is hard to do alone.

check out my blog!

pineview01
on 5/26/14 1:59 pm - Davison, MI

Another for getting him talking.  If your can't get him to alone than counseling for sure.  I am lucky my current husband is great and nothing rocks him at this time in our lives.  Now the EX, well one reason he is and EX, couldn't deal with me doing anything for me.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

TexasTerritory
on 5/26/14 10:39 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
Even if he won't go to counseling with you, go yourself. In the early years of my marriage(when I was skinny), my husband wouldn't go with me so I went. I learned a lot about myself and our relationship. Things improved for us both.

Several years later he went with me for counseling. Good luck.

Gwen M.
on 5/27/14 8:11 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with this.  I highly recommend couples therapy - preferably with individual therapy as well!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

happyteacher
on 5/27/14 10:01 am

My DH did great with the vsg surgery, but fell apart after my PS.  The bottom line was he felt old, tired, and unattractive and he couldn't deal with the idea that because all of a sudden I looked so much better how I could possibly be attracted to him.  It took several weeks of constant reassurance and frankly a whole lot of seduction to make him "feel" that he was still all that to me... but it worked.  If your hubby was supportive, but is not struggling I would gently suggest showing and telling him how much you are attracted to him along with healthy doses of telling him he is your one and only.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active