My dog passed today - emotional eating question (at the end)

feels_so_good
on 5/28/14 11:13 am
VSG on 05/20/14

She was a 14 old rescue and had been battling arthritis for years. The saddest part was what I said in my goodbye to her. 

I apologized for being fat.

When I got her we went walking, running, biking, hiking, or something on a regular basis (daily basis). This thing called obesity changed my lifestyle so much she no longer got to do any of those, not even a walk the last few years - because I stopped doing them. I was hoping that with WLS I could rehab with her, build up her muscle in the arthritic hind legs. But her muscle succumb to attrition to fast. So I said I'm sorry and said goodbye today.

My emotional eating question is at the end - it came from tonight's support group topic at my bariatric center on emotional eating.  

Other than a bad back, I can't blame my weight gain on a medical issue so I assume it's emotional eating. As I've been probed over the last 6 months, and reflected on the topic of emotions/feelings. In my case, I seem to eat out of boredom. Or for entertainment (is that the opposite of boredom? or sadness?). 

Other than the generic advice about being aware when you emotional eat and to find a way to distract yourself... I liked a summary of three types of eating.

1) head hunger - when only 1 item will do. You are not hungry for anything else, but that single craving. I could eat a box of chocolate but could care less about the potato chips or chicken breast or banana.

2) mindless eating - grab n go, eat because it's there, keep nibbling at your plate - realizing halfway into your bag of chips that you are have eaten a half bag of chips.

3) real hunger - it's been a few hours since you have had something to eat and most anything sounds good to eat.

The question(s)

1) is head hunger the result of emotional eating? whatever your trigger (feel free to share) stress, joy, sadness, fear, anxiety, etc.. is that what makes you crave your solitary item (chocolate) or food group (carbs)?

2) Given the above 3 scenarios, how does emotional eating play into real hunger?

How I got so big was eating the wrong things and wrong amounts when I was really hungry. I don't snack. 5 hrs after lunch when I should be hungry, I found myself wanting just one food. For example, rather than chicken and rice and veggies, I wanted pizza. I don't understand if that's head hunger or emotions? 

Before I started this process, I called it "will power". And all those bad habits had wore away at my will power. Not to make light of an addiction like drugs or gambling, but I rationalized it as a habit that I just lost the will to win? Does that make any sense?

Thanks for any insight your willing to share.

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

trinoc
on 5/28/14 11:27 am - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

I don't feel in a place where I'm able to answer your questions but wanted to share my deepest sympathies in the loss of your friend.

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

BuckeyeGirl
on 5/28/14 11:28 am - TN

Just wanted to say that I'm so sorry for your loss.

(deactivated member)
on 5/28/14 12:21 pm, edited 5/28/14 12:22 pm
VSG on 03/04/14 with

I'm so sorry for your loss. If you were able to avoid the emotional eating after something like that, you did amazing.

I'm not sure putting a label on my eating helped me get over it. I hear a lot of people say they were food addicts, but that term is used far too often. For me, I think my biggest issue was just really bad habits. In certain situations and times, I ate, whatever my  emotional state. When I ate, I got in the habit of eating the wrong things, and far too much of them. Just really, really bad habits.

ETA: The best thing that surgery has done for me is give me a lengthy period with almost no physical hunger. This gave me time to get rid of my previous bad habits, and establish new, good habits. Being free of constant cravings was the only way to accomplish this.

feels_so_good
on 5/28/14 12:44 pm
VSG on 05/20/14

I can feel habits breaking.

Your take is what I wanted and expected going into this. I might be interpreting things inaccurately but feel pushed to find an 'emotional' trigger. Pushed by who? not sure, maybe just looking for answers that will come in due time (or don't need answering).

Only 8 days post-op - no desire to eat :/

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

skeller
on 5/28/14 12:48 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 05/01/14 with

I am so sorry for your loss. I have a 14yo golden who I hope I can keep healthy for another year, but it's been a struggle, and I feel your pain. That said, I have a feeling your pup was damned lucky to have you as a companion, and I'm sure he or she only wanted to be with you--whether that was running, biking, or sitting on the couch. I hope you don't beat yourself up too much about that.

About your questions. In my view, "head hunger" is anything that is not "real hunger". It is when I want to eat anything at all, but my body doesn't need the food. It comes when I need soothing, when I'm looking for comfort, when I'm looking for distraction, when I want to walk away from my life for some reason. Post surgery, I struggle daily with the loss of eating as a way of coping with these emotional triggers: I'm grieving.

Now, there is no mindless eating, for sure, because my stomach simply can't eat volume of any sort. Satisfying a particular craving might be possible so long as we're talking sugar free, low carb, and doesn't interfere with my protein and fluid requirements.

Right now, four weeks out from surgery, I am not a happy camper. I am tired, struggling with the emotional impact of the loss of food, and still coping with the adjustments I am learning to make to keep myself healthy, now. This said, I would do it all over again. It had to be done, and it is my greatest hope that I will finally be able to give up the food = happiness equation. Hope this helps a little.

DOB 1958, HT 5'4" . . . HW 310, SW 281, CW 184.3

M1 -25, M2 -7, M3 -11.9, M4 -7.6, M5 -11.8, M6 -9.6, M7 -1.7, M8 -10, M9 -5, M10 -5

feels_so_good
on 5/31/14 7:08 am
VSG on 05/20/14

I too would do this over again, but share your struggle giving up food. I hope as I can reintroduce all types of food to my diet, it helps. 

Good luck with your pup.

56sunShine14
on 5/28/14 12:57 pm

I have no words of wisdom but wanted to tell you I understand exactly where you are at with respect to our fatness keeping us from taking care of our pets.  My lab is 10 years old and has been overweight, but not yet obese, for the past 6 years and it is MY fault!  Just as I allowed myself to get out of hand, I allowed my dog to also.

I have not been able to walk her in over a year now because she has a ligament tear that had to heal on it's own because I couldn't afford surgery and she was too heavy.  Now she and I are both on the same pain meds!!!! and she is in pain from arthritis.  I understand your pain.

HUGS!!!!!!

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

feels_so_good
on 5/31/14 7:10 am
VSG on 05/20/14

Best wishes for both of you.

(deactivated member)
on 5/28/14 1:28 pm - CA
VSG on 08/19/14

I'm very sorry for your loss. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views