Is this true?

sdkitty
on 5/28/14 12:25 pm

I was looking at my husbands incisions and asked the nurse which one the excess stomach was removed from. She looked at me kind odd and said with the sleeve the stomach isn't removed, but instead just stapled off to the size of a banana. I've seen so many photos of stomachs which have been removed. Is it done both ways depending on surgeon or is she mistaken?

Also I was surprised to find a leak test was not done on him. Instead he has a drain. I didn't think this is 'the norm' either?

(deactivated member)
on 5/28/14 12:28 pm, edited 5/28/14 12:55 pm

The stomach most definitely is removed, the part that is cut out is removed from the incision by the belly button.  It should be about 2-3 inches and to the side.  The part of the stomach that is left is shaped like a banana but much thinner.  She is thinking of RNY not VSG. 

(deactivated member)
on 5/28/14 12:35 pm - Canada

I believe stapling was the old way of doing the surgery.  I didn't think they did that any more.  I didn't have a leak test done, they do one during the surgery (or they did for me).  I would ask the surgeon or another nurse.  I think she's mistaken.

sdkitty
on 5/28/14 12:47 pm

What about the sleeve being the size of a banana? Is that typical or does that seem larger than most? He's just two days out and can drink pretty normally and eat an entire Popsicle. I was pretty surprised with that too.

pineview01
on 5/28/14 12:52 pm, edited 5/28/14 1:21 pm - Davison, MI

I know every surgeon does thing different but, with the sleeve the stomach is removed.  My incision is in the same place a Elina's.  I had a leak test during surgery(2) and also the next day did the swallow test.  So we get three test total.  I also had a drain after.  All those that get the sleeve at out center do but, it is usually pulled before going home with a few having it for a week.  I got lucky as mine put out so much I got to keep it for two weeks.  I would have hated to have all that fluid left in the cavity whi*****reases the risk of a sonoma (sp).

Make sure you are measuring out what he eats and drinks.  For the first week or two most are told to drink 1 oz every 15 minutes working up to 2 oz every 15 minutes by the end of two weeks.  

The stomach should be shaped like a banana.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

themexcellentone
on 5/28/14 12:57 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Was his leak test done while he was under?  My leak test was done in the OR.  I also had a drain that was removed right before I went home the next day.

And yes, part of his stomach was removed through the largest incision...clearly the nurse was confused.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

sdkitty
on 5/28/14 1:14 pm

I didn't realize they do the leak test in the OR so maybe that's the case. He will have to have the drain until his follow up appointment on June 4th though.

themexcellentone
on 5/28/14 1:30 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Some doctors do, some don't.  The procedure isn't standardized.  My doc did it while I was under because his thinking is, well, if there is one, let's fix it before we wake you up. :)

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

dianak005
on 5/28/14 1:13 pm

I believe that surgery is called a sleeve plication. It's where they sew the stomach into the shape of a sleeve. It is actually a newer  procedure.  I think. 

(deactivated member)
on 5/28/14 1:21 pm

It is not really newer, it is less expensive (for the hospital) as they don't have to use the staples. However, because they leave the full stomach, they do not reduce the ghrelin hormone and the surgery is not reversible (neither is the sleeve, but plication is often sold as if it is reversible).  I can't imagine what makes it better then the sleeve except for the fact that it's less expensive to perform. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views