surgery in 3 days

lessofme123
on 5/31/14 8:31 pm

Since it is getting so close I decided I should tell some family members. Big mistake,  My brother started telling me of all the people he knows that have died or almost died from wls surgery and all the many people his nurse wife sees come into her facility with complications from wls. It scares me. All of you have been so positive about your surgery and so many have said it was the best thing you have ever done for yourself. I almost broke down in tears yesterday from nerves and stress. I hope they give me that little "something to relax me" as soon as I walk in the door of the hospital Wednesday morning.

Jennsumner722
on 5/31/14 9:53 pm
VSG on 04/23/14 with

That's exactly why I have told a total of four peoplr. Everyone else thinks I had a hernia repair.  I know people are always negative about it. It's like any other surgery which could have complications,  but you will be fine! Don't think of the negative stuff or negative people! 

chriswife19
on 5/31/14 11:57 pm
VSG on 05/28/14

12 years ago I considered this surgery for the first time.  I ended up losing 90lbs. on my own and kept it off for ten years.  During that time my adult daughter had one of her work clients lose his wife to complications of this surgery.  She came home and told me how glad she was that I hadn't done the surgery.  Reminded me of it from time to time, too.  Unfortunately a little past the ten year mark I started to gain back.  I fought it for two years and did the surgery this past Wednesday.

My primary anxiety was in telling my daughter.  I told her I was thinking about doing it and she took me for the endoscopy.  When I went on my liquids she started doing protein powder with me too.  All this time I very truthfully told her I was 'considering the surgery'.  Every day I waffled between being excited and calling it off.  My decision wasn't truly made until last Sunday, and even then I was afraid to commit. I waited until Monday night to tell her I had decided to do it.  She asked when and I said 'Wednesday'.  I didn't want to give her enough time to get herself anxious over it.

I knew my parents would have a fit and I didn't need the stress, nor did they.  I called them once I was settled in my hospital room.  I would have waited until I was home again but I was afraid they'd call the house and I wouldn't ask anyone to lie to them about where I was.

People who love us are afraid that they will lose us and since they don't have to walk in our shoes they don't understand that, as my Primary so very astutely put it the risk is far greater from our weight and comorbid conditions.

Highest weight - 260  Surgery weight - 197.5  Current Weight - 152

cappy11448
on 6/1/14 12:39 am

People can be so strange about WLS.  It is no risker than Gall Bladder surgery, yet people give us all kinds of grief.  Its strange. 

Try not to worry about the surgery.  Only a small fraction of people have complications and they are rarely life-threatening.  I was so worried about the surgery and it was so uneventful.  I had little pain, no nausea (thanks to asking for lots of anti-nausea meds) and I was home the next day because I was doing so well.  I felt like I had the flu for about 3 days -headache and sleepy.  By day 5, I was back to work part time.  It took a few months to get my energy back but I attribute this to my age - I was 64 at surgery. 

Many people have a similar experience so chances are good that you will sail thru as well.  The recovery and getting used to the new tummy was not fun, but it wasn't terrible, and it was so worth it in the end. Today I reached my goal weight, losing 205 pounds by 13 months post-op. 

I think you will be so happy you did it.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Gwen M.
on 6/1/14 12:54 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I didn't really tell anyone except my closest friends pre-op.  I didn't want to deal with judgment, ignorance, or idiocy :P  Post-op, it's so much easier to tell people.  It's not like they can try to talk me out of it now, right? 

This is a very stressful process and it's made more stressful by people who think they have some say in your health choices.  I think it's worse for women since people always seem to think that we shouldn't have control over our own bodies and that everyone knows better what we need than we do!  

But you can do this.  Keep focusing on all the great things that will come to your life as a result.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

lessofme123
on 6/1/14 1:37 am

Thanks everyone.  I'm trying to stay busy today and not think about it too much. It is so helpful to hear everyone's positive attitude and success with wls. You all are strangers to me but have been a huge part in helping me make this life changing decision.  I appreciate your encouragement so much.

elizjayjay
on 6/1/14 9:51 am
VSG on 05/27/14

I understand. My BFF and her mother were all over me with the negative attitude. Both can drop 5 pound in 3 days or less. But both are full of negatives. It hurt like hell, but I know for my own life and safety of my health, this was the option. The BFF came to see me 3 times in hospital, 2x on the "worse day. He will come around. Let the fire keep you motivated. But you can also call them out on facts. Who are the people, what age, what year did it happen. And yes nurse will see those having problems, those without will be out riding bikes and enjoying life. Take a deep breath, listen to your own heart and spirit and do what is best for you. I just had my sleeve on the 27th, the 28th was a hard day. I did vomit once, I was very flushed, did not feel good at all, most was from the drugs used in surgery, not the surgery it self. Today I shopped in Walmart, walked around the block and feel great. Food is no longer in control of my life. Best of luck, prayers for you. Please feel free to update. L

lessofme123
on 6/1/14 9:56 am

That is great to hear how well you are doing! I hope mine will go as well. This is definitely the scariest thing I have ever done! 

tarynina
on 6/1/14 10:01 am
VSG on 06/25/14

My surgery is scheduled for June 25th and I know exactly what you are going through. I've decided to tell people I'm having hernia repair and only a handful of people know the truth. I'm so happy I made this decision, but I've gone through multiple stages of fear and excitement. I'd love to hear how you feel after surgery. Good luck, you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views