Questions

sdkitty
on 6/2/14 12:25 pm

OMG. My husband will be 7 days out tomorrow and he is HATEFUL! He's always been the nicest person I've ever known and now I can't say 'hi' to him without him snapping at me. I know he's feeling miserable and tired of dealing with a drain, etc. but is this normal and will it go away?

Also I start my liquid diet in the morning and I know that's going to be tough on me so we'll BOTH be hateful. Any tips/tricks/advice for getting through the week?

Miss150
on 6/2/14 12:59 pm

Oh, Hun, sometimes survival mode (and the short term coping skills that are necessary there-in) is a victory in it'sself.  think about this as a temporary- transitionary thing.  Hubby is doing the best as he can- and you, take care of yourself.  cut each other a break----this is what the  meaning of GRACE is all about.  I'm thinking it will pass...life will resume, and all will be ok.  Love each other well.  bonnie

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

sdkitty
on 6/2/14 1:04 pm

Thanks Miss150! I just feel really frustrated, but you're right..and wow, your results are so inspiring! :) Congrats on the great success.

pineview01
on 6/2/14 1:39 pm - Davison, MI

Find reasons to be in different rooms.  I am hateful for about 4 weeks after every surgery I have ever had.  It has something to due with the anesthetic and add pain and discomfort to the mix.  You do need to sit down before you start and have a quite heart felt talk.  Say you realize why he is acting this way and he needs to realize how hard what you will be going thru will be as he just has.  That it may be best to stay clear of each other as mush as possible.

Women can handle this stuff better than Men anyway.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Calaska
on 6/2/14 2:03 pm - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

For what it's worth, my husband was hateful too after his hip replacement surgery. I thought, who is this guy, and who took my husband?!?  I've never seen him like that before. I think it has something to do with being out of control of his situation, and feeling vulnerable. Not a good combination for a guy, who is always in control. He snapped out of it after not too long. Don't worry, he doesn't mean any of it. Let it slide off, and take care of yourself!

58 yo female, 5'9" HW: 297 SW: 285  Surgery W: 252. CW: 224.8 GW: 160        

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. ~ Frederick Douglass

sdkitty
on 6/2/14 2:05 pm

Thanks ladies. I appreciate the feedback. I can't wait till things are 'back to normal'.

Gwen M.
on 6/3/14 12:49 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Is he seeing a therapist?  It might be useful for him to have someone to dump his feelings on that isn't you!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

56sunShine14
on 6/3/14 1:32 am

Is he on Oxycodone or Loratab?  the pain meds tend to make people VERY ugly!  My sisters, mother and I are mean when we are on these drugs for pain!  When my best friend, whom I have known all my life, had her knee replaced and rehabbed at my place, she was so mean and childish I ended up taking her home a few days early (at her request) because she was just so nasty to me.  My guess is the meds are the problem if he is on them.  See if the doc can change them for something else.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

sdkitty
on 6/3/14 9:31 am

Could be! He was taking oxycodone but good news is he's feeling much better today and is 1/2 way back to normal. We even went to the mall and walked around a bit. He gets his drain and staples out tomorrow and I'm sure that will improve things even more.

min2758
on 6/3/14 2:10 pm - Boise, ID

Remember its only temporary!   It will end for both of you, and you'll both be happier, healthier, more radiant people in a few months!  I had to leave the room many times during my first month post op for the sake of my son and husband because they didn't deserve my wrath!  It SUCKS.  But it doesn't last forever.  :)  For me the first couple weeks was especially hard but around the 4th week I was normal again.  Malificent left the house around week 4!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views