How long did this last

Tina O
on 6/4/14 12:54 am - ME
VSG on 05/12/14

I'm 3 weeks post op and the last 7 days have been horrible. I'm getting bad nausea and dry heaving. Liquids are hard to keep down...  I called my doctor and went to the er (in tears because I felt so bad) for fluids and was put on anti nausea meds. Is it normal to do good than suddenly 2 weeks out have this happen with nausea and hard time with fluids? how long til this completely goes away? this sucks...ty in advance to every one who answers back

HW: 414 ... CW: 260 ... GOAL: 147

megan.sherman
on 6/4/14 1:01 am
VSG on 05/17/14

Hope you feel better soon.  You are still healing, your body went through a major change.  I am almost three months out and still trying to figure things out but it does get easier with time.  Just take care of yourself.  :)

Jiliana2
on 6/4/14 1:04 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I don't know how much advice I have, but I wanted to say first that I'm so sorry this is happening to you.

You did the right thing by calling your doctor and going to the ER. I hope the anti-nausea meds help. Are they having any effect?

Would acid be causing this, I wonder? Are you on a PPI (as many of us are) to help with the acid post-op? Sometimes that causes a problem after the first couple of weeks out of the hospital.

I've also heard of strictures causing nausea and dry heaving/vomiting post-op, to the point where liquids don't even stay down. If this continues, do stay in touch with your doctor and maybe things can be investigated further.

I would say that if you were doing well, it would be out of the norm, but not unheard of, to have problems a couple of weeks out. I'm sure whatever it is can be resolved. But it'd be your doctor who can give you the best advice, and not us. Please keep that in mind.

Wishing you luck; and keeping fingers crossed it gets sorted out soon. Dehydration is a real concern at this stage and it's great that you've spoken up as quickly as you have!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/14 1:22 am - Canada

I'm almost six months out and still struggle.  Some people never do and some take a long time before normal hits.  Sometimes it's just an anomaly and doesn't happen again.  Just learn to go with the flow.  You can't change your body only do your best to drink and eat what is required.  

My nurse told me she was reading research that shows some people stomachs get inflamed on and off for quite a long time before they settle (she meant up to a year or more).  If you turn out to be one of the sensitive ones you will learn how to deal with it.  Lots of support on here to help you with that.

God Bless, Michelle

Pelz
on 6/4/14 2:20 am

I did great right after surgery and then around two weeks I was like that. I still have hard days especially when I don't sip when I'm thirsty. I'm told it gets better, and it has slowly for me or else I have gotten use to it. When the weight starts coming off, that helps you deal with things too. 

I really hope things get better for you. Just remember the first month or two is going to be the hardest because you just made a huge change and you have to get use to it physically and mentally. :-)

beckylynn928
on 6/5/14 8:20 am

At about 2 weeks, I finally started to feel great (week 1 through 1.5 all I wanted was water and had to force myself to eat anything with nutrients), but then this third week (the beginning of it anyway), I feel much worse again. I am not vomiting, but I feel nauseous with each sip. I am hoping it doesn't last. It sounds like this must be somewhat normal. Just keep talking to your surgeon. They will take care of you. 

~Becky

5'10" HW: 360 SW: 335 5/20/14 CW: 257

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views