This can't be happening!

sdkitty
on 6/9/14 2:48 am

I'm one day away from my surgery date & I've been on liquids for 6 days. I wasn't feeling great yesterday, but I woke up this morning SICK. Super sore throat, tons of drainage, etc. I have asthma so every time I get a cold I end up with bronchitis. I called my surgeon and he wants to delay my surgery until next Tuesday. They told me I can eat today and then I'm back on liquids tomorrow!! I could barely cope the past 6 days and now I have 7 more.

Anyway, I rushed out to my local Thai restaurant and ordered my favorite meal since I can eat today and it tastes horrible! I don't know if it's from being on liquids or the fact that I'm so sick or what. I always have the worst luck. :(

sdkitty
on 6/9/14 2:49 am

If you guys remember, my husband got sick on his liquid diet as well, but he had enough time to recover before surgery. Is this common? Maybe being on liquids brings down your immune system or something?

Ms Shell
on 6/9/14 4:47 am - Hawthorne, CA

People on Atkins calls it the low carb flu.  Your body is often used to consuming so much food and/or crap that it rebels against you and it usually lasts a few days.

Ms Shell
on 6/9/14 4:56 am - Hawthorne, CA

Contact your doctor but if I'm not mistaken unless you have a fever they'll still operate.  I too was sick before my surgery, but by the date of it I was feeling fine and I never had a fever so it was all good.

Jordan B.
on 6/9/14 5:05 am

Sorry :( I would just try to make the best out of the next 7 days- you can do it! For whatever reason, my surgeon only make me do 1 day of clear liquids (thank goodness)- but I was doing 2 shakes a day a week prior to prepare my body (at least I thought). I am now 5 days post-op and have been on a liquid diet since surgery. Now my lifesavers are sobe lifewater popsicles, chicken broth, and french onion soup. Have you tried these?

HW 345 (01.2014)  SW 324 M1: 21 lbs m2: 14 lbs m3: 10 lbs m4: 15 lbs

sdkitty
on 6/9/14 5:11 am, edited 6/9/14 5:12 am

Unfortunately they won't go ahead with mine since I have asthma. 90% of the time my 'bad cold' turns into bronchitis so they don't want to take any chances of me developing a chest infection. That makes sense about the carb detox causing a 'flu' though...Like I said, the same exact thing happened with my husband when he went on liquids.

Jordan, I just went from being a vegetarian for 16 years to finally "eating" and by eating I mean picking at some chicken the week before liquids so it's really hard for me to actually drink chicken broth right now and I'm only going to eat chicken and turkey so French Onion soup is out too. I've been living mosly on strained cream of mushroom soup, sugar free popcicles and protein drinks and I'm so sick of them all.

Where did you find the Sobe popsicles or did you just make them yourself? It would be nice to at least have a variety of those.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/9/14 7:57 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Being sick, especially sinus gunk, always throws my sense of taste out of whack. :(

Hang in there! Get lots of rest, pump yourself of fluids, and you'll be on the operating table soon!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

PaulaToronto
on 6/10/14 12:40 am - Toronto, Canada

I am sorry to hear this but don't worry, the time will pass very quickly.  I had my surgery cancelled on me while I was the next to go in.  I just accepted that it wasn't my day and kept on my liquid diet as I didn't know how soon they would reschedule.  I lost a lot pre=op.

I too have asthma so know how sick you can get - my colds always turn into bronchitis too and usually take several weeks to clear up and usually I need steroids and antibiotics.  Trust me, you do not want to be coughing up plehgm just after surgery.  Heal and then do surgery. Your time will come soon.  Make sure you tell your anethisist about your asthma and ask to inhale ventolin before surgery.  I do this every time I go under and have had no problems recovering my lung capacity after surgery.  

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

sdkitty
on 6/10/14 3:38 am

Thanks for the response, Paula. It's nice to find somehow who knows how I feel. I'm already on antibiotics, but I should probably ask for steroids too. I hadn't thought of that.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 282 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 335 views