Exercise, Nutrition, WLS, and Cooking Q&A - 06/14/2014

Keith L.
on 6/14/14 4:58 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Hey Y'all! I've been absent for a while but you all are not forgotten. My new job keeps me very busy but I am still at it. I lurk on here from time to time but I am trying to get back to my previous level of activity.

So if you have any questions about Exercise, Nutrition, WLS or Cooking, I will do my best to give you a good answer!

So, Let's Here It!

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

cappy11448
on 6/14/14 5:14 am

It good to hear from you, Keith  I've missed your regular posts and your strong commitment to the weight loss process.  I hope the new job is going well, and I'm glad to see you back on OH!

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Stacy_WLS
on 6/14/14 6:01 am

Welcome back!  It's great to see you on here.  

I have a question for you :)  I'm training for a marathon (October 12th).  I'm doing a half marathon (Aug 3) to help me build up for it.  Each week I am doing one long run, a couple short / medium runs and one to two days of HIIT.  On my long run days -- last week was 8, this week is 9 miles -- I get super super exhausted.  Last week my muscles started cramping afterwards.  These runs are getting into the 1.5 hour length.  I'm wondering if I need to incorporate some kind of fuel during the run?  a banana or goo?  Or should having something beforehand be good enough? At what point should I incorporate something and what should it be?

I always appreciate your input.  Thank you!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Keith L.
on 6/14/14 7:11 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I have a couple of thoughts. Cramping can be caused by low potassium, so perhaps some potassium supplements might not be a bad idea. Taking a banana with you is not a bad idea but kind of a pain in the butt. Protein bars are not a bad idea, particularly one that is a bit higher in carbs than say a quest bar. It will give you some calories and glucose to burn too. Definitely eating 30-60 mins before your run a protein shake or smoothie with a banana might work too. I would also say the day before and during your long run days increase your salt in take significantly. Same thing with water, make sure you are super hydrated and using something like G2 or other sport drink (low carb is fine but not necessary).

Just be mindful of your calorie intake. I am sure in your 9 mile run day you are hitting high numbers on the calorie burn but you don't want to over indulge either. I'm sure I don't need to tell you this but for others reading. Also after your run, definitely eat some fast digesting carbs like a banana WITH protein. A good post-workout snack that will do the job well is an organic brown rice cake with 2 tbsp of peanut butter and banana slices on top. Protein before/during and protein/carbs (in this case both fast and slow) after.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Gwen M.
on 6/15/14 8:14 am
VSG on 03/13/14

What training plan are you using?  My partner uses the free ones from RunKeeper and they're really awesome.  I asked him for advice for you, since he's pretty savvy!  (And is currently training for his second marathon.  He's amazing.)  

He says:

Muscle cramps are apparently often caused by dehydration.  Step 1 is plenty of fluid, probably a half cup or more every 2-3 miles, especially in the heat.  Side stitches are often caused by imbalance in electrolytes and this is where you insert gatorade for fluid, and/or banana/GU/etc.  Cramping after the run is probably a lack of stretching.  And even with stretching, your legs aren't going to be optimal if you worked out hard.  

She might be pushing too much in training.  Training runs should most often be done at 1-2 mins/mile slower than race pace so you don't hurt yourself and recover faster.  

He also says this might be helpful -- http://www.runnersworld.com/hot-weather-running/prevent-musc le-cramps-during-summer-training

Clearly he is no expert, but running is sort of his pet hobby so he knows a heck of a lot more about it than I do!  :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Stacy_WLS
on 6/15/14 8:32 am

Thanks.  This is helpful.  Im sort of following hal higdons training program, but not exactly.  I incorporate a lot of non running, so only strocrly follow thw long run days.  I have noticed lately that I have been running more and dpomf less spinning and swimming.  I thinm it is mostly due to my schedule, but also from the excitement in my increased ability!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 98 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views