Pre-Op Diet...so hungry...

shellw362160
on 6/22/14 1:20 pm

I can hardly believe my date is July 2nd!  Emotions are moving between excitment, stressed and trying to keep track of all the "checklist" items for my home to run smoothly while I'm in the hospital (pay bills, premake dinners for my son, etc.).  The worst is the pre-op diet.  I started Thursday and thought I was going to pass out from hunger! Friday was a bit better and Saturday was a breeze in comparison.  My nutritionist provides a modified liquid diet which I have been following, but today was the worst, hungry, tired, irritable, and a killer headache.  Have others experienced this and does it get better?

Thanks!

If diet and exercise were all it takes for weight management, I'd be on Beyonce's payroll as her personal trainer!

greensleeved
on 6/22/14 1:26 pm
VSG on 07/10/14 with

Mine is July 10th and I start my diet Thursday. I am dreading the first day! Did you find anything helpful for the worst of it? Good luck on your journey! Always good to see another Summer 14 Sleever!

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

feels_so_good
on 6/22/14 1:31 pm
VSG on 05/20/14

It does get better, I found the weekends/days off work harder.

I don't generally get headaches, but did on the preop diet. According to my NUT, headaches are a side effect of ketosis, something about the brain being upset it needs to use your bodies fat for energy instead of the carbs you eat.

Post op I promise you will forget about this challenge and be excited to add these lbs to your total weight loss.

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

pineview01
on 6/22/14 4:51 pm - Davison, MI

It is hard in the beginning and than gets easier than you kind of just get numb and had to watch the clock to find it is time to drink another shake.  That is if you are on the 5 shake only liquid diet.  Sounds like you might be on an easier version.

Personally I wish the WLS world would figure out that you can shrink the liver with out making people do liquid only.  

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/14 5:00 pm, edited 6/22/14 5:13 pm - Memphis, TN
VSG on 07/08/14

I started my pre-op diet yesterday, the 22nd.  I started it 2 days early.Smh...I'm so nervous. I felt hungry most of the time,  but I would just drink a lot of water.That helped a little bit. Thankfully I was off work and slept most of the day. I can tell that the next 2 weeks will be looooooong!  My surgery is July 8th. I wish you all the best! 

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/14 5:01 pm - Memphis, TN
VSG on 07/08/14
Sandy M.
on 6/22/14 11:31 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

The pre-op diet is the worst part of the whole process in my opinion!  You're having to detox from probably carbs and caffeine, right?  The good news is that the worst of the detox takes 2 or 3 days.  The irritability you might have for the next 6 months or so unfortunately - I've been told that it has something to do with hormones being released from our fat cells.  Now I know that this fact doesn't make it any better when someone cuts you off in traffic on the way to work or your husband doesn't remember to put the toilet seat down, but just remember that this too shall pass.

If you can, start walking now prior to surgery.  It doesn't have to be a lot; 5 minutes twice a day to start with.  Getting outside and walking really helps with the stress and emotional aspects of what you're moving through right now.

Good luck to you - July 2nd is just around the corner!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

breathemusic
on 6/23/14 12:35 am

I honestly didn't have any trouble on my preop diet with hunger.  Only with boredom of having the same stupid shakes all the time.  I was already doing a shake for breakfast every day before the liquid diet as part of my 3 month nutrition stuff, and even when that ended, I opted to continue with the shakes to prepare me for the liquid diet.

But I'm also not a grazer, and I hate coffee, so I didn't have to detox from caffeine.  Since I'm already used to just having 3 meals a day (just crappy portion control and food choices) I think that made the 3 shakes plus a light greek yogurt much easier.  I actually found the shakes pretty filling, and they did a good job of keeping me satisfied until the next meal.  I was really surprised.  I did break down and cheat once or twice, but the problem was just that i was so over shakes and just wanted to chew something, anything!

cbr2523
on 6/23/14 12:57 am

Hi, I started my two week liquid diet May 15th and had my surgery May 29th. First day I was hungry, second day was awful had headaches (I think caffeine withdrawls) and weak but day 3-15 were ok. Yes I wanted to eat but kept the big picture in mind and was able to move past it. I had to endure two special occasions on both weekends of my diet and it was not fun watching everyone eat while I had slimfast shakes and water (daughter 1st communion party and Memorial Day).

Surgery day I was an emotional wreck. I cried in the pre op room with my husband i was almost ready to walk out. but looking back now I'm glad i did it. You'll be fine, keep your head up and just visualize yourself healthy at your goal, that is after all the big picture.

Good luck and God bless.  

Gwen M.
on 6/23/14 6:11 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It does get better, hang in there!  Keep in mind all the great things you'll achieve.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active