Starving

NurseJackie
on 6/28/14 11:52 am
VSG on 07/10/14

I am 3 days in on my preop diet and I am starving.  I don't know if I can hold myself back from cheating.  I can't believe how food controls my life!  I am sad and hungry! 

VSG on July 10th, 2014

Kelly Jean
on 6/28/14 11:55 am
VSG on 04/08/14

You can do it!!!!! Remember this is to shrink your liver to make sure your surgery goes smoothly !!!  Do something else go for a nice long walk anything .... good luck !!! :-)

♡ Kelly

greensleeved
on 6/28/14 12:41 pm
VSG on 07/10/14 with

It helps me to watch videos of the actual surgery online. It reminds me that this procedure may be laproscopic but it is still serious surgery and cheating on the pre-op diet could have serious consequences. It's a good way to start thinking about food in general. Like if you feel like eating heap of butter soaked pasta go watch a video about heart disease. That'll kill your appetite!

I know it'd depressing to think of the hold food has on you. But you are taking the steps to change that RIGHT NOW, and you are THREE DAYS closer. It really is an accomplishment.  Right there with you on day 3!

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

greensleeved
on 6/28/14 12:42 pm
VSG on 07/10/14 with

It helps me to watch videos of the actual surgery online. It reminds me that this procedure may be laproscopic but it is still serious surgery and cheating on the pre-op diet could have serious consequences. It's a good way to start thinking about food in general. Like if you feel like eating heap of butter soaked pasta go watch a video about heart disease. That'll kill your appetite!

I know it'd depressing to think of the hold food has on you. But you are taking the steps to change that RIGHT NOW, and you are THREE DAYS closer. It really is an accomplishment.  Right there with you on day 3!

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

LakeErieGirl
on 6/28/14 1:04 pm
VSG on 06/17/14

You got this! Keep yourself busy. Start doing things around your house to get ready for your surgery, clean it, pack your bag for the hospital, purchase everything you need for after surgery, etc.

Also, start keeping a journal. Write down how you are feeling and maybe where you see yourself in a year. I also did what Greensleeved did abou****ching surgeries online. I actually watched my surgeon in action at the Cleveland Clinic website perform the surgery. I wanted to know every detail before I went. It helped knowing what I was getting into and him doing it.

Honestly the pre-op diet was a a tough now that I look back on it. But a reward was the weight loss. Just remember these 14 days are just a short glimpse in the journey! You will be on the loser's bench soon.

5'6" 44 yrs old Heighest Weight Ever - 295 (Pregnancy)

SW-270 lbs Pre-Op -242 lbs CW -224 lbs Goal Weight- 147lbs

weese
on 6/28/14 3:11 pm
VSG on 02/26/14

Are you getting enough protein in?  The protein will help with the hunger  There is nothing for the head hunger except to focus on the clinical need for the preop diet. 

Lisa

Surgery 2/26/14 with Dr. Stephen Marshall in Peoria, Il

Dreamingofbeaches
on 6/28/14 5:37 pm
with

I am on day 12. It got much easier on day 6, which is later than everyone seems to say. Hold tight, you can do it!

-Jen

Consult weight 4/7/14: 381.5   SW 7/1/14:

GCoop
on 6/28/14 11:09 pm
VSG on 07/03/14

I'm on day 4.  I haven't been truly hungry as I keep a strict 4 hour schedule with the protein shakes, but I have had some head hunger especially yesterday (day 3).   I just kept telling myself that I was not going to cheat myself again this time.  I've done that most of my life and it is why I am where I am today health wise.  I decided I cannot commit to this surgery if I can't do this part right and I really want to be healthy again.  So I have not and will not cheat on the pre-op diet.  I'm going to have to do it post-op anyway, so I'd better get used to it now.

Also warm broth really helps the desire to taste something almost normal...really who eats sweets for EVERY meal???  I'm soooo sick of sweet stuff!  Also try some sugar free gum to give your jaws some exercise! 

Good luck and have faith in yourself!

NurseJackie
on 6/29/14 12:10 am
VSG on 07/10/14

THANK YOU EVERYONE.  Your words have motivated me.  My typical day is a protein shake for breakfast that has 25 gm of protein in 14 oz, then for lunch and snack I have a 14gms in a smaller protein shake.  That is around 53 gms in shakes.  Then I have my small meal for dinner.  I try to drink my water during the day, which is hard for me because I am not a huge water drinker.  I am now realzing that food made me happy....bad food that is.  I am starting day 4 and it looks like I am already down 5 lbs on the scale.  

VSG on July 10th, 2014

Most Active