feeling discouraged

Nicki08
on 7/2/14 4:27 am
VSG on 09/15/14

went to see my primary care doc...told her i was hoping to have surgery in Sept...she said all her patients that have had wls have gain most of the weight back...just made me second guess myself...ugh....especially since I am self pay...i feel like the pressure to be successful will become to much...

Lemily
on 7/2/14 4:34 am
VSG on 01/16/14

I would not second guess yourself. If the doctor gave you that information, they should have followed up with why those people gained the weight back. If you read the spectrum of posters here, some newer some older, one thing is common, no one regrets this surgery. Some people have been successful at maintaing their weight loss for many years, because they want to and they work hard at it. Others fall back into routines. It's up to you to determine how successful you want this to be. Don't let the doctor determine your unknown. That's your journey to decide.

Tracy D.
on 7/2/14 4:35 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Nicki - I would be questioning the effectiveness of your particular bariatric program.  It's possible that not all of your PCP's patients have used the same program as you will.  True, it's really up to you to be successful but having good education and support along the way is invaluable and a crucial piece of your future success. 

What type of support/education do they provide pre-op?  Do they sponsor ongoing WLS support group meetings?  What does their aftercare program look like?  How long do they follow you post-op?  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Cindy B.
on 7/2/14 5:32 am
VSG on 10/22/12

For me maintaining the last year has been pretty easy. My number one rule I follow is protein first. Second to that is to make sure I get in enough water. When I follow these rules, there isn't much room for very much else in my stomach. I  try to choose my carbs wisely, but on occasion I have a treat. I don't do very well at logging my food, but every once in a while I do just to make sure I'm on the right path. I eat mostly the same things every day which makes it easier for me.  I was self pay also, but for me I think it means more because I know how hard it was to save up that money. If you want this bad enough and are willing to follow the rules and what your surgical team wants you to do you have every chance of success. :)

Surgery weight 255     GW 140     CW 128

AngloAm
on 7/2/14 5:38 am

How many patients? How much weight? Honestly, everyone's an individual - just because person A gained some? most? a lot? a little? weight back doesn't mean you will. Although, realistically, most people dip below the weight at which they settle, but seriously, if it were really a waste of time, why do so many people do it? Regarding the pressure (a) dont' live in the future. If you're happy with your decision, as I suspect you really are, given you're self-paying, today, then that's good enough. Not only is VSG a great tool to get the weight off, it's a big help to keep it off. And (b) Maybe the pressure will be strong, but good. Maybe you'll be more motivated than many/most/some portion. I mean give yourself the benefit of the considerable doubt!

SLEEVED 21 May 14 with Dr. B. Greene. Max weight 470 lifetime; 395 pre-op; goal weight 190. Current weight 217; 178 lost so far, 27 to go and keep off.

debk21
on 7/2/14 5:39 am - Mansfield, TX

All the previous posters have good advice and important things for you to think about. One other thing that may help in your discouragement is that your PCP may be lumping all WLS together. Personally, I think the failure rate of the LapBand would significantly skew that gain percentage. Just a thought. I will never regret this and you definitely get out of it what you put into it (speaking of effort here). I was also self pay and have to say that it was worth every penny. Good luck to you in your journey and finding your right solution!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

AngloAm
on 7/2/14 5:42 am

Where's that 'like' button?

cappy11448
on 7/2/14 5:51 am

It sounds like your doctor was expressing some regrets/concerns, and not thinking of how it affected you. On my first visit, my NP told me that people lose 60% of their excess body weight with the surgery, but this is a "normal curve" which means the 60 is just an average.  Some people lose all their excess body weight and others lose less.  She said the ones that succeed are the ones who measure and log their food every day.  You can bet that I measure and log my food!  and I've lost 210 pounds in 17 months, and I'm at goal. 

Its important to understand that its a long term commitment - you'll have to watch what you eat for the rest of your life.  But as long as you stick to the plan, you will succeed.  Many people here are living proof that it can be done.  The WLS doesn't make it easy, but it really does change your body so that it is possible.  I know. I am the person who got to 385 pounds, and yet with the surgery I was able to succeed.

You can do this!

Carol 

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Nicki08
on 7/2/14 6:38 am
VSG on 09/15/14

thank you all so much for the encouraging words...i have taken them to heart and am feeling much better...she also mentioned something about a couple of her patients having probs with the immune system being so low, and that they have contracted diseases because of it...i didnt ask for details...i was pretty aggravated at that point..she ended by saying she was supportive of my decision....lol...whatever!

(deactivated member)
on 7/2/14 7:03 am

So you have an alternative view point : My PCP referred me for bariatric surgery and suggested it to me! I DID NOT BRING IT UP! He introduced ME to the idea. He said it was his experience that his patients *****ally tried to lose weight and were serious about being healthy had GREAT success with WLS. That's why he thought I would be a great candidate for WLS.

While I have gained a bit of weight back, I would never go back and change a thing. I have learned so much about myself as a person in general and as a person who has severe food issues and how profoundly food effects me and how I use food as an emotional tool because of my WLS.

When it comes right down to it, WLS is only a tool in the whole weight management thing. Yes, it's a great tool, but the biggest tool in this battle is your brain. Success isn't going to be about your sleeve in the long run. It's going to be about your approach to weight management.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 284 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views